GPS - Tracks and Routes

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

AlanW

GPS - Tracks and Routes

Post by AlanW » 31 Mar 2012 20:13

I must admit to always taking the easy option and saving GPS files as .gpx tracks and then simply following a coloured line on the GPS.

But I guess that I really need to move on and do it properly and save as a route and have route turn by turn guidance.

So using the forthcoming Beacon Audax which is available to download via bikehike.co.uk, how do I get that onto my GPS so that it gives me turn my turn instruction?

I have already saved it as a track, so I'm interested to learn/understand how I would save it differently as a route.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 31 Mar 2012 20:36

I think I've already got the Journey GPX somewhere with turn by turn instructions from a couple of years ago. Just need to check there have been no changes. You'd be welcome to it if you want.

My preferred method is to join the coursepoints to make a route in Mapsource (software supplied with the Garmin) and transfer the route and track to the Garmin (no need to transfer the waypoints). On the Garmin Etrex I display next instruction and distance to next then 25m before each instruction the garmin beeps, lights up and displays the instruction in shorthand eg 35.2 SOX
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Apr 2012 20:34

CakeStop wrote:I think I've already got the Journey GPX somewhere with turn by turn instructions from a couple of years ago. Just need to check there have been no changes. You'd be welcome to it if you want.

My preferred method is to join the coursepoints to make a route in Mapsource (software supplied with the Garmin) and transfer the route and track to the Garmin (no need to transfer the waypoints). On the Garmin Etrex I display next instruction and distance to next then 25m before each instruction the garmin beeps, lights up and displays the instruction in shorthand eg 35.2 SOX
I have not had a great deal of knowledge or dealings for that matter with course points to be honest.

If you could mail me what you have Steve and I'll have a mess about with it and see if it makes sense!

What I don't understand, I have a Garmin StreetPilot III which is quite old now and I used to use it when touring on my motorbike. You simply constructed a route in Mapsource and downloaded it direct to the unit from the PC. There were no issues with having to reduce track logs like there is with either the Etrex of the Oregon.

Nor was there any file converting required, you simply saved it as a .gdb file, then you just loaded it into your unit and you had turn by turn direction.

What do simple things have to be made so difficult?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 01 Apr 2012 21:46

I'll send you my gdb files from 2010 then (one for each stage). The only change I can recall last year affecting the journey & expedition was a slightly different route through Oxhill to avoid the scarecrow festival but we might not clash this year anyway.
Eat cake before you're hungry