GPS

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ed Moss

GPS

Post by Ed Moss » 13 May 2012 20:39

Well I'm still baffled, I've read our forums and loads of others.
I'm thinking of getting a GPS.

What I want is to download rides (mtb and road) and follow them, future power tap compatibility (ANT+) would be good as well.

Looks like the Garmin 800 is the one to go for?
But which bundle? Can't decide if it comes with maps or not.

Are they mac friendly, I've got Windows 7/parallels, assuming that's OK?

Help!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 May 2012 22:11

Its a mine field to be honest and its very much a very personal choice as every one wants one to do something a bit different.

For example, I have the Oregon 450 and I love it 100%, I use it for walking, cycling, (road and MTB) Geocaching and in the car when used in conjunction with City Navigator. The colour screen size is huge in comparison with others and the colour resolution is awesome, plus it uses standard sized AA batteries, a point to take into account on long trips.

Before that I had the E-Trex HCx, which is a brilliant piece of kit but the screen size was a bit small for my failing eye sight.

Before that I had the Garmin 205, a good device and more towards a training device than a true mapping device.

I also have GB Discover maps (OS Maps) Open Street maps and City Navigator mapping all on the same SD card. So depending on what we are doing I can select the most suitable map.

GB Discover is brilliant for walking and Geocaching but far to much detail for cycling. Open Street maps are much better for cycling as they give a bit more detail than the City Navigator but it does not support route direction very well. Hence why in the car I switch to the City Navigator if I need auto routing, not to be recommend when cycling!!

Personally I would buy it with the City Navigator mapping as it will be cheaper than buying the mapping DVD at a later date. But maybe load the free OSM mapping onto the unit, ideally both if you can?

Check out Cotswold Outdoors for deals, remembering that if your are a CTC member you get 15% discount.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 14 May 2012 08:53

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55545

Is it this one I need, with the preloaded EU maps, or can I just buy the unit and maps later?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 14 May 2012 09:04

I've also been thinking about getting a Garmin after getting frustrated by using phone apps that frequently seem to crash. Garmin don't seem to make it that easy to understand the different options, but these are the bundle names in case you haven't spent as much time as me trying to work them out!

Unit only comes with a basemap (reading about it online, it doesn't sound sufficient for navigating on anything but major roads)

Trail bundle comes with OS Discoverer maps (seems to be aimed at mountain bikers)

Enduro bundle comes with OS Discoverer maps, heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

Performance bundle comes with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

Performance and navigation bundle comes with full European CityNavigator maps, heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

As Alan says, you can also download free maps from Open Street Map.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2012 09:17

Ed Moss wrote:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55545

Is it this one I need, with the preloaded EU maps, or can I just buy the unit and maps later?
Ed,

All I would say is that you are much better to have the mapping on DVD instead of on a pre loaded SD card.

Having it on DVD means that you can load the mapping onto your PC and create routes from there and then download to your GPS. You cannot do this with the mapping on pre loaded SD card.

You will also get free mapping updates with the DVD option, so while it may be a bit more expensive to start off, long term you will get the benefit from it.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 14 May 2012 09:35

+1 for maps on DVD

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 14 May 2012 10:02

Where do I get the DVD maps?

Am I right, A basic Garmin 800 with bike mount and DVD map? That means I can download mtb/road rides and follow them, or map my own?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2012 10:18

Ed Moss wrote:Where do I get the DVD maps?

Am I right, A basic Garmin 800 with bike mount and DVD map? That means I can download mtb/road rides and follow them, or map my own?
Yes, that is the option I would personally go for. As for the DVD, HERE for example.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2012 10:24

lc1981 wrote:I've also been thinking about getting a Garmin after getting frustrated by using phone apps that frequently seem to crash. Garmin don't seem to make it that easy to understand the different options, but these are the bundle names in case you haven't spent as much time as me trying to work them out!

Unit only comes with a basemap (reading about it online, it doesn't sound sufficient for navigating on anything but major roads)

Trail bundle comes with OS Discoverer maps (seems to be aimed at mountain bikers)

Enduro bundle comes with OS Discoverer maps, heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

Performance bundle comes with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

Performance and navigation bundle comes with full European CityNavigator maps, heart rate monitor and cadence sensor

As Alan says, you can also download free maps from Open Street Map.
For what its worth, but unless it is a very good deal or you intend doing walking as well, then I would not even consider GB Discoverer maps.

There is far to much detail to digest when on the move. Plus, as they are just a overlay of a OS map that you zoom in or out of. So when you get past a certain point zooming in, the format is very poor quality and pretty much unreadable.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 14 May 2012 14:20

Thanks Alan,

So one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... -computer/

And http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-mapsourc ... urope-dvd/

Job done?! (After I've shopped around)

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2012 14:36

Ed Moss wrote:Thanks Alan,

Yep, that would be my choice. But download the free Open Street Mapping as well and load that to the unit, as its more user friendly than City Navigator as it shows contour lines and woodland areas etc and is generally more colourful and pleasing to the eye.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 14 May 2012 19:46

After asking for advice on the purchase of a GPS in the message board I purchased a Garmin 705 and Western Europe maps on DVD whcih cost an extra £50 I think.

Last year my wife also purchased a Garmin 705 and we decided to use the OSM, which in my opinion are just as good (for the UK anyway)
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 15 May 2012 12:21

AlanW wrote:
Ed Moss wrote:Thanks Alan,

Yep, that would be my choice. But download the free Open Street Mapping as well and load that to the unit, as its more user friendly than City Navigator as it shows contour lines and woodland areas etc and is generally more colourful and pleasing to the eye.
Do I really need to purchase the DVD as well, or does the open street mapping do the same job?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 May 2012 12:44

Caution: geek stuff below

I bought Garmin mapping on DVD. But knowing what I know now, I'd use the free OSM. Just download, unzip and copy 1 file to your SD card. Easy.

I don't use any Garmin software on the PC. Route planning on RideWithGPS.com and I use gpsbabel (also free) with a bit of Windows or Unix scripting etc. for conversions and transfers to/from my Garmin.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 15 May 2012 14:21

Andy Terry wrote:Caution: geek stuff below

I bought Garmin mapping on DVD. But knowing what I know now, I'd use the free OSM. Just download, unzip and copy 1 file to your SD card. Easy.

I don't use any Garmin software on the PC. Route planning on RideWithGPS.com and I use gpsbabel (also free) with a bit of Windows or Unix scripting etc. for conversions and transfers to/from my Garmin.
Agreed, but I would add that if you want to use the autoroute function then you will need the Garmin mapping. I have tried it with the OSM mapping and it doesnt work to well for what ever reason?

But see how you get on with the free mapping first? You can always buy the DVD at a later stage.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 May 2012 14:30

AlanW wrote:if you want to use the autoroute function then you will need the Garmin mapping.
Agreed. Must admit auto routing is something I've never used.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 15 May 2012 15:06

Thanks guys, bought the unit and I'll see how I get on without the DVD.
I won't be using it as a bike/car satnav, I'm guessing that's what autoroute is?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 15 May 2012 15:07

Andy Terry wrote:
AlanW wrote:if you want to use the autoroute function then you will need the Garmin mapping.
Agreed. Must admit auto routing is something I've never used.
If you are totally 100% lost on your bike, then its sort of useful to have as a back up plan just to get you back to a place that you know. But use it with a high degree of caution even with the Garmin mapping.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 15 May 2012 15:08

Ed Moss wrote:Thanks guys, bought the unit and I'll see how I get on
Let the fun begin................

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 15 May 2012 19:16

AlanW wrote: I have tried it with the OSM mapping and it doesnt work to well for what ever reason?
It's open source, created by the public for the public. If when Joe is contributing he doesn't realise that you have to join roads in a particular way to enable routing the junctions he creates won't be recognised by routing algorithms (don't ask me how I know this).

Ed - first option to disable is autorouting then select off-road instead of follow-road, even if you want to follow the road.

Are you planning a tour or just thinking of leading a few club runs?
Eat cake before you're hungry

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 15 May 2012 21:54

There are times I want to throw the Garmin thing out of the window, but I'd never want to be without it.

Good luck !
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 May 2012 22:20

CakeStop wrote:disable is autorouting then select off-road instead of follow-road, even if you want to follow the road.
Leave auto-routing where it belongs - on your car's sat nav.

Really no need for it.If you get lost, ride until you find a road sign and figure it out from there.

In fact I used to manage perfectly well on audaxes using a GPS with no map. Just follow the line on the screen. Thinking about it, I don't see why we don't go back to the sextant.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 21 May 2012 19:01

Thanks all, Garmin 800 came end of last week, downloaded the open source map, still working out whats next.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 22 May 2012 10:19

Andy Terry wrote:
CakeStop wrote:disable is autorouting then select off-road instead of follow-road, even if you want to follow the road.
Leave auto-routing where it belongs - on your car's sat nav.

Really no need for it.If you get lost, ride until you find a road sign and figure it out from there.

In fact I used to manage perfectly well on audaxes using a GPS with no map. Just follow the line on the screen. Thinking about it, I don't see why we don't go back to the sextant.
Don't get me started!

GPS as a performance measurement device/novel stats collector - great fun.

GPS as a magic electronic box containing maps that I can use intelligently to find my way - excellent.

GPS as a way to navigate - there lies the road to ruin...
It's all about the bike.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 22 May 2012 20:29

Ed Moss wrote:downloaded the open source map, still working out whats next.
Have you got passed the "how do I get the map on the garmin" stage?
Eat cake before you're hungry