Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ed Moss

Slime inner tubes

Post by Ed Moss » 02 Jun 2012 18:30

Short review.

Don't bother, complete waste of money.

You have been warned.

Trashed 3 in the past 10 days.

On a positive note you do get mouthfuls of green liquid when you get a front **flat**, tastes like rubber/vinegar/petrol

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Jun 2012 19:22

I assume that you are referring to the road version?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 02 Jun 2012 19:23

Are these MTB inner tubes Ed? If so, where have you been riding to have that kind of **flat** rate?

Ruth

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 03 Jun 2012 08:26

MTB

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Jun 2012 09:32

Ed Moss wrote:MTB
I have to admit that before I went tubeless, I used the standard Slime tubes and also the Slime "Light" tubes and I thought that they were superb. I have used them for years and not had any issues. But and at the risk of telling you something that you already know, but just because the tyre has gone down, doesn't mean that the Slime hasn't worked.

On many occasions when the tyre has gone completely flat, if you reflate it and then carry on riding, nearly every single time the Slime will seal the hole. To be fair in the odd isolated instance I have had to repeat that process a couple of times to get it to work, but I have never had it not seal to the point that I have had to replace the tube.

But the way forward is going tubeless though, so ditch the tubes and shove some Stans No Tubes, in there. <@>
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 03 Jun 2012 12:10

AlanW wrote:But the way forward is going tubeless though, so ditch the tubes and shove some Stans No Tubes, in there. <@>
What rims/tyres do you use, Alan? I think I'll need to change wheels soon and was thinking about tubeless for my road bike.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 03 Jun 2012 13:38

Will give tubeless a go next set of tyres, or if/when I get a set of racing wheels.
I've watched the Stan's video, amazing!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Jun 2012 15:17

Grogz wrote:
AlanW wrote:But the way forward is going tubeless though, so ditch the tubes and shove some Stans No Tubes, in there. <@>
What rims/tyres do you use, Alan? I think I'll need to change wheels soon and was thinking about tubeless for my road bike.
I haven't yet ventured into going tubeless for my road bikes, only MTB at the moment. But my next set of road wheels will be tubeless.

The MTB rims are the Shimano XTR specific for running tubeless but I use the non tubeless Schwalbe tyres. I don't use the proper tubeless versions because: a) they are more expensive. b) they are a lot heavier.

Its also far to add that the initial set up is a real pain on a MTB wheels, and ideally you will need a compressor if your tyres are up to or over 2.25" wide. But IMHO its well worth the hassle and the additional cost.

You also have to pick your tyres carefully as not all non tubeless tyre are suitable. For example, the Continental Mountain Kings will not work as the side walls are just to porous. When you have filled the tyres with the 2oz of Stans No Tubes, you can see it bleeding past the side walls over 24 hours. Furthermore, annoyingly it keeps bleeding no matter how much you put in and how many times to rotate the tyre and wheel. :x

If you get a thorn sticking out the tyre, just pull it out and rotate the wheel and it seals the hole, its that quick and easy. When I was riding to Edgbaston via the tow path the other week, each night I was pulling some pretty hefty thorns out of both tyres. But simply spin the wheel and away you go. :wink:

That said, I always carry a spare tube, so in the unlikely event it does to repair then I can just pop a tube in. :wink:

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 03 Jun 2012 16:31

The main problem with road tyres is the increased pressure they are run at. I use stans in my tubs and have **flat**d several times. The sealant worked but if i put more than 60psi in then it didnt hold.
I switched to slime tubes for cyclo x after thorn **flat**s and it seemed to work (i didnt **flat** again).

dweben

Post by dweben » 04 Jun 2012 19:52

Hmm, I've not had a **flat** on my MTB in aaaaages. Happy days eh! You can get slime rim tape kinda stuff can't you? Goes inside the tyre between that and the tube?

Was at Llandegla today. Lush new trails and real quick surface.

I'm on Schwalbe Nobby Nics with Maxxis ultralite tubes. They weigh very little on my Mavics... super quick. Run the pressures high and it'll deflect alot of things like thorns.