Anyone on here got a Garmin Edge 200?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

AlanW

Anyone on here got a Garmin Edge 200?

Post by AlanW » 05 Jun 2012 11:21

Q: Can you view the time when you are moving?

I have read somewhere that you can only view the time when you are stationary, but not once you start moving, that's never correct is it?

I quite fancy one of these little gadgets to save me lumping the Oregon 450 about every where. The Edge 500 has a bit to many extras that I will not use like the HR monitor and the cadence monitor, so the 200 make sense, plus its about £60 cheaper.

But, and I know that its real petty thing, I want to be able to view the time while on the move, either looking on one main screen or by scrolling via a menu.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 08 Jun 2012 20:53

Hi Alan,

The Edge 500 is available in various bundles and without the HR and Cadence sensors for around about £150

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/59 ... ite-black-

You can also then add the HR or Cadence sensors if you require in the future.

I looked at the 200 for my daughter but thought the 500 was a much better option, also got Evans to price match Winstanleys and got the full 500 package with HR and Cadence for £199.99
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Jun 2012 21:24

PatBoySlim wrote:Hi Alan,

The Edge 500 is available in various bundles and without the HR and Cadence sensors for around about £150

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/59 ... ite-black-

You can also then add the HR or Cadence sensors if you require in the future.

I looked at the 200 for my daughter but thought the 500 was a much better option, also got Evans to price match Winstanleys and got the full 500 package with HR and Cadence for £199.99
Thanks Pat, but in fact I am one step in front of you. After looking at it in more detail I bought the Edge 500 yesterday for £140 and free post. :lol:

At some point I will probably add the HRM, but not the Cadence sensor. I have to say its a great little unit, but the owners manual is crap!!!

I also don't like having to switch it on, then having to press start before it will start recording. Then press stop, then press Lap/Reset in order to save the data, then switch the unit off.

I don't have to do all that with my Oregon, so why cant they make them function both the same?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

PatBoySlim

Re: Anyone on here got a Garmin Edge 200?

Post by PatBoySlim » 08 Jun 2012 21:32

AlanW wrote:
I bought the Edge 500 yesterday for £140 and free post. :lol:
Thats a good price Alan, where was that from ?
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 08 Jun 2012 21:38

AlanW wrote:I also don't like having to switch it on, then having to press start before it will start recording. Then press stop, then press Lap/Reset in order to save the data, then switch the unit off.
The Forerunner 305 works the same way. Really annoying when I'm used to the eTrex Summit which is recording all the time it is powered on.

AlanW

Re: Anyone on here got a Garmin Edge 200?

Post by AlanW » 09 Jun 2012 18:24

PatBoySlim wrote:
AlanW wrote:
I bought the Edge 500 yesterday for £140 and free post. :lol:
Thats a good price Alan, where was that from ?
One of the large internet GPS shops was having a promo last week, I think that it was Pentagon GPS?

Cath_Faulkner

Post by Cath_Faulkner » 01 Oct 2013 14:15

Yes, I have the Edge 200 - works a treat. for the money cant argue.. I always pre-plan routes or copy a route off garmin connect. The bread crumb trail is easy to follow IMHO.

Patch

Post by Patch » 01 Oct 2013 17:30

In practice though if you just turn it off it still saves the ride. The initial start press is necessary. Imagine you are at an event you turn the unit on it takes a few moments to locate satellites and the start may not be immediately if it just started when you turned it on it would record all the stuff before you actually started. I've had my old one for 4 years now it's playing up now but only in that the plug for connecting it is worn. Otherwise been great. I had a new one last week but after a crash coming off ingleborough in the three peaks I lost it booooo!
Patch

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Oct 2013 17:32

Cath_Faulkner wrote:Yes, I have the Edge 200 - works a treat. for the money cant argue.. I always pre-plan routes or copy a route off garmin connect. The bread crumb trail is easy to follow IMHO.
Hi Cath,

Thanks for the reply.