MTB advice for summer trip to Himalayas

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

diggers

MTB advice for summer trip to Himalayas

Post by diggers » 06 Jun 2012 14:07

It is time to come back to doing club runs with the Beacon when you start dreaming about club runs with the Beacon. Last night we all met at some unidentifiable Cotwold location, went to the end of the road and ended up on the US Pacific Highway Coast road somewhere between LA and San Fran. Bizzarely, there was a lot of group grumbling about this twist on the Sunday run...

On a slightly less surreal note, I'm doing a big cycling trip this summer - after a long time off the saddle for one reason and another. (As a first step, I'm trying to get from zero to hero in time for George's audax! ). My trip is from Manali to Leh in the Indian Himalayas and I'm calling on you good people for advice.

1. Although it is feasible to use my Dawes Galaxy, the road surface is meant to be pretty awful in places and a mountain bike is recommended. I'm certainly interested in doing some mtb riding when I return so I don't think it would be a false investment. What would you recommend? What should I bear in mind when buying (gear ratios, materials, wheel size, brands)? I want the bike for rougher touring and some mtb trails - I don't envisage getting into mtb high jumps and acrobatics if that helps to narrow the field!

2.I'll be taking the bike with me on the plane. Has anyone got recent experience of this and the final word on what form of bike packing is the best to avoid new bike being mangled?

Many thanks, Claire

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 06 Jun 2012 20:36

Hi Claire, good to hear that you're continuing to be ambitious with your tours! I took a look at the route between Manali and Leh on Google Earth and it looks amazing.

There are loads of people in the Beacon who can offer advice on touring: unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I can advise you to avoid cheese before bedtime, which might help with the dreams. :lol:

George

Post by George » 07 Jun 2012 00:11

Claire, Claire, Claire! What are you thinking?

Don't you know what trouble it caused last year when two people undertook rides worthy of the Touring Trophy?

If you pull this off, the nightmares will all be Dave's.

I can offer you a bike bag and I can advise you not to believe a word BA tell you about CO2 cartridges. Otherwise you're way outside the realms of my experience. However, I do believe that Ruth has done some mountaineering in that part of the world, and Simon Dighton has done some pretty extreme stuff too (besides training with Jon, Doug and Gary in Cofton Park).

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 07 Jun 2012 09:09

I've taken my bike on a plane loads of times using a padded bag, with no real damage beyond the cosmetic. I put the wheels in their own bags either side of the frame, and wrap the rear mech (and any other fragile bits) in bubble wrap. Fill out the rest of the space in the bag with shoes, helmet, tools, etc.

Being a traditional sort, I'd be happy to do a trip like that on my old Trek mountain bike. Rock-solid steel frame. Not much to go wrong. And able to fit a rack for touring. No suspension though.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Jun 2012 10:19

I don't think Chris Smith quite touched upon your part of India but you may be interested to read his book.

http://www.cycleuktochina.com/route.htm

Incidentally, Trevor Richards rode the Himilaya last year, albeit from the Tibetan side - he could have been another candidate for the Touring Trophy last but kept modestly quiet on the matter.

bobg

mtb

Post by bobg » 07 Jun 2012 15:30

Hi Claire. Cant help you with what type of bike to buy, but well worth looking at Canyon. They make a vast range of MTBs and are used by Professional teams. They are German and can only be purchased on line. The theory being that they cut out the middle man, and are very good value. They are priced in euros and at the moment at about 1.2 to the pound even better. I got a road bike from them last year and was chuffed with it. You have to submit a quite comprehensive form prior to purchase giving age, weight, height, leg and arm length etc and the bike is then built to suit you. As i say worth taking a look. (and i am not on commission) Should see you at the audax. Regards Bob