GPX files and time zones

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

laurence_cooley

GPX files and time zones

Post by laurence_cooley » 25 Jun 2012 21:16

I currently use an app called Sports Tracker to record my rides on my phone, and recently have been downloading the GPX files for them from the app website so that I can upload them to Strava (I have a Windows Phone, for which the Strava app isn't available). This all works well apart from the start time of the ride. At first, the date would be correct but the time wouldn't. I've now figured out that I can (almost) fix this by adding a "Z" to the end of the first time value in the GPX file to mark it as UTC. However, because it's currently BST and the time in the GPX file is BST rather than UTC, this means that the time is out by one hour.

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit GPX files so that the time is correctly identified as BST?

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 25 Jun 2012 21:40

Oh blimey.
This is how I do it.

I look at my watch get on my bike, go for a ride until I feel like going home. I then look at my watch again and depending on how I feel I collapse and fall asleep or have a cup of tea and eat a lot.

Cycling, so simple but oh so complicated.

:?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 25 Jun 2012 21:54

Try +01 instead of Z

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 25 Jun 2012 21:54

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:I look at my watch get on my bike, go for a ride until I feel like going home. I then look at my watch again and depending on how I feel I collapse and fall asleep or have a cup of tea and eat a lot.
That sounds good. Sadly my slight obsession with statistics combined with mild OCD prevents me from following this strategy!

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 26 Jun 2012 00:06

Problem solved - I did a find and replace to take an hour off all of the timestamps.