Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Albert Cox

Air less tyres.

Post by Albert Cox » 04 Nov 2012 17:59

ALC

charlie

Post by charlie » 24 Nov 2012 22:53

A South African company produced TOOBZ which were intended to replace a normal inner tube. They were a hardened foam, which were made, at the time, for 26inch MTB wheels. They also produced them for 26X1 1/4 inch. They never really became popular as they were intended for one particular shape of rim. If you fitted them to others, as I did, they quickly took the shape of the rim, leaving a gap between the tyre, which caused the tyre to flap about and quickly destroy itself! This was 15-20 years ago. Last time I saw any was in South Africa, about 7 years ago. They were a different colour to the ones we had here, so maybe they had managed to overcome the problem? I cut down some of the thinner ones and have them in a couple of my Moultons, saves having to pump them up all the time.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 25 Nov 2012 11:52

Wonder what happens when they fill up with mud?

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 25 Nov 2012 18:18

Used to use a similar product in motorcycle enduro. Called a mousse they were a devil to fit, twice the price of the tyre and needed replacing fairly often. That said no **flat**s of course. When they became worn they made the handling somewhat unpredictable.