mudguards and tyre widths

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

steveb

mudguards and tyre widths

Post by steveb » 21 Nov 2012 11:53

I want to get mudguards for my Giant Defy 3 but think I might need to have some questions answered first.
I am using 23mm tyres but I've heard that during winter cyclists favour broader tyres - 25mm ? Is this true and if so what is the reason for doing this ?
I have read comments on cycling forums which suggest that some mudguards are fine on 23mm tyres but either won't fit or can be very tight on 25mm. :?

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Nov 2012 12:12

Whether you can fit guards and 23/25 tyres depends on your frame - how much clearance you have between the frame and the tyre.

I use 25mm tyres on my winter bike. You can run them at lower pressure without risk of pinching and this plus the extra footprint should give better grip. The level of grip depends as much if not more on the make & model of tyre though - some 23mm tyres could have better grip than other 25s simply because of different rubber compounds.

25s also give a better ride (if run at lower pressure) but on the other hand if run at the same pressure gives better rolling resistance than a narrower tyre (allegedly).

25s are not so easy to come by - my preferred choice of Michelin Krylions has been discontinued and I haven't noticed any of the replacement Pro4 Endurance in 25. I bought an extra pair of Krylions while I could so I have a bit more time to find something though.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Nov 2012 12:34

When I owned Giants, I found their clearances to be too tight for fitted mudguards. However there are good alternatives:

- SKS Raceblades (short or long). Downside: the short blades with rubber ties can shift their profile causing tyre rub, resulting in a stop to undertake minor adjustments. These will certainly fit 25s.

- Crudcatchers. Downside: the can crud up with mud. May be a tightfit for 25s.

Advantages in both cases are the ability to easily fit and remove within a minute and without having to half rebuild the bike.

Cultracing are selling the SKS Long Raceblades for £45. The clearance problem is overcome by a thin strip of metal. See a picture below:

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 21 Nov 2012 12:49

CakeStop wrote: 25s are not so easy to come by - my preferred choice of Michelin Krylions has been discontinued and I haven't noticed any of the replacement Pro4 Endurance in 25.
I'm Using the Pro 4 Endurance, The 25's were available when I purchased mine from ProBikekit but are out of stock at present.

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/michelin-p ... e_base_gbp
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Nov 2012 17:19

Thanks Pat but please tell me you weren't using these on the Clee to Heaven and on the way to Knighton!
Eat cake before you're hungry

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 21 Nov 2012 22:05

Giant make a their own branded mudguard specifically to fit the Defys. In a similar design to the SKS Long Blades they have a cut out section for the calipers which helps with the clearance problem at the forks.

When it comes to tyre width I like take the middle way with my Vittoria Paves which are 24mm !

After chatting with a chap from Vittoria I've learned that 25 is the new 23 as many of the pro peleton apparently now favour a 25mm rubber....

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 22 Nov 2012 08:49

CakeStop wrote:Thanks Pat but please tell me you weren't using these on the Clee to Heaven and on the way to Knighton!
I changed to these after the Clee to heaven as I was using the Pro Race 3's, But yes, I was using these on the way to Knighton !

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Nov 2012 08:54

CakeStop wrote:Thanks Pat but please tell me you weren't using these on the Clee to Heaven and on the way to Knighton!
Is there something we should know, as I also use the Pro4 Endurance tyres on my Audax bike?
Last edited by AlanW on 22 Nov 2012 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Nov 2012 08:54

PatBoySlim wrote:
CakeStop wrote:...I changed to these after the Clee to heaven ....!
Funny you should mention this matter. I heard a rumour that bookings are already being taken for next year's Clee to Heaven.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 22 Nov 2012 13:30

AlanW wrote:Is there something we should know, as I also use the Pro4 Endurance tyres on my Audax bike?
I manged to what can only be described as sever my rear tyre all the way through.The hole was about half an inch but I suspect whatever caused it would of destroyed any tyre.