Why do we train/race or just keep fit

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Wishy

Why do we train/race or just keep fit

Post by Wishy » 27 Nov 2012 15:59

My daughter is in her final year at Bath reading Sports science. Her final year project is about why we exercise, race or just keep fit. She needs volunteers to complete a fairly short questionnaire (it took me about 5 mins). If you have the time I would be grateful. Details:

UNIVERSITY OF BATH
DEPARTMENT FOR HEALTH
SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCE

The Relationship Between Physical Self-Perceptions and Exercise Dependence

Physical activity is widely accepted to be beneficial to an individual. However, in some cases, physical activity can lead to a harmful psychological state. This type of behaviour is known as ‘exercise dependence’ and is widely under researched. It is important to understand the reasons behind exercise dependence as it can be very harmful to the individual both psychologically and physically and without the correct knowledge of the disorder, successful interventions cannot be implemented. It is also understood that physical activity helps to promote positive self-perception. However it has been found that those with secondary exercise dependence behaviours have lower self-esteem. Therefore is it important to understand the characteristics of those with exercise dependence so that it can be prevented.

Can I participate?

I am looking to recruit males and females between the ages of 18-65 who participate in exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes per session.

What will I need to do?

You will need to fill out three questionnaires: The Exercise Dependency Questionnaire (EDQ), the Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire (EDE-Q) and the Physical Self-Description Questionnaire (PSDQ).

Can I see my own results?

Yes, if you provide a name and email address, I can give you the results of the PSDQ, so you can see how you perceive yourself physically.

How can I take part?

If you would like to take part in the study, please follow the link to the questionnaire:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BLMSR82

Or if you would like more information, please contact Hannah Wishart (hw282@bath.ac.uk) with any questions.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 28 Nov 2012 13:55

I've completed Hannah's questionaire Rob, fascinating stuff. I see a number of people at my gym who are clearly addicted to excercise but I have never thought about the ramifications before.

It would be interesting to see what conclusions she draws from her study.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 28 Nov 2012 17:35

i have completed this and i think it will show some interesting results

Wishy

Post by Wishy » 28 Nov 2012 20:36

Thanks guys.
Agreed some of the questions make you think why certain people exercise. I will post Hannah's conclusions when she is finished.
Thanks again.

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Nov 2012 20:37

Done. Seems like a decent undergraduate sports science dissertation, mine was rubbish! Bath is a v good uni for sports science. I looked round it in 1999 when I applied and Colin Jackson was sat stretching in the sports centre reception! they didn't let me in!

Personally I'm not so sure about the prevelance of exercise addiction and it negatively effecting eating/self confidence in relation to amateur sports people, think this is more of a problem in gym users.

Would be interesting to compare results between different activities/sports e.g. General Gym users v Clients of Personal Trainers v Cyclists v Rugby Players v Runners etc.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Nov 2012 21:22

Completed.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 28 Nov 2012 22:08

Done it. Will be interested to see the results. I did Biology at Bath '93-'96 and loved it there. I guess it was a bit different in those days though :)
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 28 Nov 2012 22:15

Have done. I also did my undergraduate degree at Bath. Sadly I wasn't cycling much at the time, otherwise Bathwick Hill might have made me a better climber.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Nov 2012 21:00

Sorry too old to be in the sample!