Tri bars

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

rdleaper

Tri bars

Post by rdleaper » 22 Dec 2012 14:06

Hi all

I'm going to give time trials another (and hopefully better) go next year (OK last year was a decent first go but I'm looking to make big improvements). Anyway I'm thinking of getting some tri bars to fit to my existing road bike, which is a pretty basic model Specialized Allez Sport 27, and was wondering if anyone could give guidance as follows:

1. Do they bring significant improvement to times? I saw an article in a magazine whre they tested this and other aspects, and it seemed to suggest they make quite a big difference given the investment needed.

2. Which designs would work best on a road bike, and which are best value for money?

3. How easy are they to get used to in terms of steering, balance, comfort and getting the right aero position?

I can't really justify spending the cash needed for even a second-hand TT bike so thought this would be the next best thing.

Thanks,
Richard

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Dec 2012 16:49

For what they cost, yes they will make a big improvement and yes they are easy to get used to, however I certainly wouldn't suggest using them when riding in a group.

But as for recommendations, like most things cycling related, what suits one will not suit another I'm afraid.

When I was time trialling (on a road frame) I had probably had a dozen different sets until I found a set that suited me, in fact I still have them hanging in the loft. :oops: Mavic ones that fit the smaller diameter bars.

I never had bespoke time trial bike, I just had a set of clip on tri bars and a set of lightweight wheels, close ratio cassette and quality tubs that were only used for TT's

I would certainly avoid buying mail order, okay you may pay a few quid more at your local bike shop, but at least you will probably be able to try them first and exchange as necessary?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 22 Dec 2012 20:56

Specialized did some testing and found that a 40km time trial was 1min 20s quicker by just adding tri bars to a road bike.

You'll find that your position with tri bars brings you further forward on the saddle and rotates your hips, so saddle height and set back may need to be adjusted up and forward. Your road saddle may put rather more pressure in unwelcome regions - you'll need to try to find out!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 23 Dec 2012 12:06

Definitely, I put clip on tri-bars on a second hand Raleigh Road Ace in about 1996 and won the handicap 20! Didnt want to spoil the bar tape on the Bianchi that replaced it so that was the peak of my career. There was some muttering in the ranks of course but the handicap was set after a wet and windy first outing with the bike on the K37. Oscar was my coach and mentor at the time.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 29 Dec 2012 20:05

In case you haven't already seen these articles, they're probably worth a read. They suggest that aero bars are the most economical way of improving time trial times if your starting point is a road bike: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ero-19273/ and http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/b ... equipment/.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 30 Dec 2012 23:08

Cheers all; I might pop into Evans Cycles or Bike Pro and see what the options are.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 31 Dec 2012 19:16

Call me controversial but...
The next best thing to a dedicated tri-bike might not be equipment at all...

Until you've been competing for a while i suspect the greatest improvements will pretty much just come from improved training, better pacing and understanding how hard you can push yourself. Speaking from experience I'd say it took me several years to work out how much i could actually extract from my legs, every time i thought 'that was all i had' I'd go a bit harder the next time and realise there was still somewhere to go...

Assuming you are just interested in getting quicker in relation to your own times you might as well just work on getting as aerodynamic as possible in the drops on your standard bars. That'll serve you well if you subsequently decide to have a bash at road racing too. Plus you'll be able to feel quite smug when you beat someone who HAS got tri-bars...
It's all about the bike.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 01 Jan 2013 12:45

John Sanderson wrote:Call me controversial but...
The next best thing to a dedicated tri-bike might not be equipment at all...

Until you've been competing for a while i suspect the greatest improvements will pretty much just come from improved training, better pacing and understanding how hard you can push yourself. Speaking from experience I'd say it took me several years to work out how much i could actually extract from my legs, every time i thought 'that was all i had' I'd go a bit harder the next time and realise there was still somewhere to go...

Assuming you are just interested in getting quicker in relation to your own times you might as well just work on getting as aerodynamic as possible in the drops on your standard bars. That'll serve you well if you subsequently decide to have a bash at road racing too. Plus you'll be able to feel quite smug when you beat someone who HAS got tri-bars...
Cheers John, the training side of it is definitely something I'm looking to work on - also I think I'd get the same smug feeling if I beat someone on a TT bike by adding tri bars for maybe 1/100 of the cost :wink:

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 01 Jan 2013 15:10

John Sanderson wrote:Plus you'll be able to feel quite smug when you beat someone who HAS got tri-bars...
I thought this was what the hill climb was for? :P