New bike advice

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Clive

Post by Clive » 21 Mar 2013 13:38

deero83 wrote:
My Charge Filter I am riding at the moment is driving me mad due to the front derailleur being utter rubbish - H screw has fallen out twice now of its own accord and have had trouble shifting the front cogs on and off since buying the thing. Having got it from Wiggle at a huge discount, their Ts & Cs said I couldn't send it back (now I know why!) and Northfield Cycles fobbed me off with a new bottom bracket for some reason which seems to really have made no difference. Oh and the brakes are rubbish cantilevers!
If its faulty you can return it to Wiggle regardless of what their T&C's state. maybe fit a new and better front mech? a Shimano Tiagra one which is still giving me good service after 5 years is £19 at chainreaction. 105 or ultegra would be better, but will cost a little more.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodhlwAFg

deero83 wrote: Because it's such a poor groupset on my Charge, I am slightly put off Shimano. Are Campag any good or should I stick with what I know?
I'm running with factory fitted Shimano 105 shifters and rear mech with Tiagra front mech and chainrings. I have found it very reliable and trouble free providing routine maintenance is carried out. Clean and lubricate every week, replace all inner and outer cables every year, chain and cogs as needed. I've just replaced the rear mech after 5 years and 25000 miles because one of the pivots was partially seized and and a lot of play in the pivot points - but given the conditions they have to work in with exposure to dirt, rain, snow, road salt, mud etc I think they perform very well.

deero83

Post by deero83 » 23 Mar 2013 13:39

I took it up with CSG who make Charge bikes after Northfield Cycles fitted a new BB which they said was now the correct length. They were having none of it, so sadly sending it to Wiggle to send back to CSG wouldn't get me anywhere. Having done a bit of research it's a Shimano 2300 groupset so will do some hunting around to sort out the front mech. Shouldn't be an issue.

Definitely gives me an excuse to go hunting for s new bike for 'summer' and sportives!

Had a look at Canyon on the net. All the various magazines and sites seem to love their frames and consider their bikes a bargain. Would probably be looking at their Ultimate AL 9.0 (but with a triple and without Di2)

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3078#

There is, however a LOT of competition in this price range, but most seem to have 105 groupsets and cheaper wheels.