Drivetrain advice

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Alistair Hey

Drivetrain advice

Post by Alistair Hey » 26 Mar 2013 19:43

I have just bought a new bike :D

'new' to me, not new at all. It will need most of the drivetrain replacing, its currently all 105.
Due to limited budget I don't want to put all new 105 parts on it- I would rather replace most of it with Tiagra.

My intentions are:

-replacing the bottom bracket with a Shimano Tiagra 4600 Bottom Bracket.
-the chain with a 105 chain
-the casette with a Shimano Tiagra 4600 10 Speed Cassette.
-All the cables.

Are there any compatibility issues? Im fairly sure the chain and cassette will be fine, but im not sure about fitting the 105 crankset back onto the Tiagra BB.

Thoughts/Wisdom?

Thanks,

Ali

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 26 Mar 2013 20:22

If it's a modern 105 crankset with hollow axle and external bearing bottom bracket the Tiagra BB will be fine. If it's an octalink or traditional square taper bottom bracket it won't.

Broadly speaking as long as you have matching 9 or 10 speed components through out then mixing Tiagra with 105 shouldn't be a problem.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 26 Mar 2013 20:27

If you need to borrow tools, Alistair, I've got a HollowTech II bottom bracket tool and most of the other stuff you'll need, and I'm only round the corner.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Mar 2013 21:03

You don't need to restrict (or expose) yourself to a Shimano chain.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 26 Mar 2013 21:25

Thanks Laurence- i will probably take you up on the offer.

Steve- what do you suggest instead?

Clive

Post by Clive » 27 Mar 2013 07:54

I'm running a 105 cassette, Tiagra crank and chainrings, and a SRAM chain at the moment. all works fine. I've used Tiagra 10sp cassettes too, and can't say I notice any difference in quality or length of service from the 105.

My bike chewed up and spat out one FSA and two 105 BB's in the first 18 months, don't know why and all replaced under warranty. Now fitted Hope BB which has been 100% for 3+ years and seems bomb proof.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 27 Mar 2013 19:04

For 10 speed my preference is for KMC. I've used the Shimano chains supplied with Shimano groupsets and never had a bad experience but I prefer the KMCs that I've replaced them with at the end of their modest lives. On 8 speed my preference was for SRAM but I can't recall what made me change to KMC when I moved to 10 speed. Maybe it was something like SRAM didn't do 10 spd powerlinks or that the powerlinks were one use only and I reckoned if I needed a KMC link I might as well have a KMC chain but that may just be a rubbish hazy recollection.

Clive

Post by Clive » 27 Mar 2013 19:44

I use SRAM with 10 speed and the power link is not reusable, but I've never needed to separate a chain other than at the end of its life. I carry a spare power link, but I've never used one though.

Are the KMC links reusable?

Not sure if it is my imagination, but chains seemed to wear out quicker last year - maybe all the wet, mud, grit, salt etc. I fastidiously clean and re lubricate every week.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 27 Mar 2013 21:35

Clive wrote:Are the KMC links reusable?
Yes. I like to take the chain off every now and then for a real good clean (leaving in a jar of white spirit) using 2 chains in rotation. Don't tell Patch but I use 8 speed chains for 3000 miles and 10 speed for more than 2000 miles so 2 or 3 rotations.

John Sanderson

Re: Drivetrain advice

Post by John Sanderson » 28 Mar 2013 12:23

Alistair Hey wrote: My intentions are:

-All the cables.
Not a compatability issue, but If you replace the chain and the cassette but not the chainrings the new parts will wear out more quickly...
It's all about the bike.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Mar 2013 13:08

John Sanderson wrote:

-All the cables.
Not a compatability issue, but If you replace the chain and the cassette but not the chainrings the new parts will wear out more quickly...
Personally, I would suggest that there is no need to do this. Providing that you replace your chain in a timely manner using the services of a Park Chain checker (other brands are available) then you should be able to replace your chain without the need to replace even your cassette.

I probably replace my cassette on the forth chain replacement, and I probably replace the chain rings on about the sixth cassette. And trust me, no one else can be as fussy about how well a drive train performs than me. :oops:

Also gear cables are replaced once a year.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Mar 2013 13:11

Clive wrote: Are the KMC links reusable?
Yes, but it is recommended that you only use them for the life of the chain that it is fitted to.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Mar 2013 13:19

CakeStop wrote:You don't need to restrict (or expose) yourself to a Shimano chain.
To be honest I only use Shimano chains, and in-particular the 6701 chains because they have the contoured side plates that great enhance the performance of the gear change.

In the past I have tried KMC and Sram but have always reverted back to the Shimano ones on my road bikes anyway. But my track bike has a KMC and the MTB has a Sram!

Clive

Post by Clive » 28 Mar 2013 14:11

AlanW wrote:
Clive wrote: Are the KMC links reusable?
Yes, but it is recommended that you only use them for the life of the chain that it is fitted to.
No I wouldn't of course, I would always fit a new one. It would be more practical than the one use only SRAM link for taking off the chain for proper cleaning.

I'm seriously looking at a belt drive and Rohloff hub for my next steed, but only looking and dreaming, and saving my pennies at the moment.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 07 Apr 2013 08:25

AlanW wrote:
John Sanderson wrote:

-All the cables.
Personally, I would suggest that there is no need to do this. Providing that you replace your chain in a timely manner using the services of a Park Chain checker (other brands are available) then you should be able to replace your chain without the need to replace even your cassette.

I probably replace my cassette on the forth chain replacement, and I probably replace the chain rings on about the sixth cassette. And trust me, no one else can be as fussy about how well a drive train performs than me. :oops:

Also gear cables are replaced once a year.
I take your point Alan, but the OP has bought this second hand so I'm assuming it hadn't been subject to such diligence!
It's all about the bike.