New Bike: Pinarello FP Due vs Specialized Tarmac Elite

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

PatBoySlim

New Bike: Pinarello FP Due vs Specialized Tarmac Elite

Post by PatBoySlim » 01 May 2013 14:49

New bike time !

I ordered a Pinarello FP DUE which was delivered to Evans on Thursday, but they discovered a crack in the carbon and its going to take 10 days to get a replacement, but in the meantime I cant help but think I'd be better off with a Spcialized Tarmac Elite.
I've been put of the Pinarello as now you can buy them in Hafrauds, but it does look nice.

Does anyone own or has owned either of these ?

Specialized Tarmac Elite:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 6#features

Pinarello FP Due:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec035669
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 01 May 2013 14:53

Can't really compare but I've been very happy with My tarmac SL2 I bought 3 years ago.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 May 2013 15:05

The idea of cracked new carbon frame sounds disturbing. Perhaps this is related to Pinarello's decision to source its manufacturing from the same source as Carrera?

Carl_Williams

Post by Carl_Williams » 01 May 2013 21:59

I had an FPDue last year following my Dogma 60.1 being totalled in an accident. Apart from a slight weight penalty and not having the full Italian glitter paint job they were almost the same. I was so impressed with the ride quality. I've since sold the FPDue to my brother who's been equally impressed and I've just had another Dogma. I can't compare any of mine to a Specialized so am Pina biased! I stopped buying anything Specialized years ago as everything I had broke.
Also I'd recommend going to see Andy at Bicicielo for your replacement.
Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie, why lie when you can sleep. Brian Robinson

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 02 May 2013 10:59

Phoned by Evans this morning and put on the spot, so decided on the specialized.
It has to be purchased through Evans as part of it is being paid for by Ride2work scheme and the company I work for use them, otherwise i'd much rather use Bicicielo.

I'm still not sure if i've made the right choice,

Carl, Just how much was the weight penalty ? The specialized is 18.9lbs
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Carl_Williams

Post by Carl_Williams » 02 May 2013 19:53

Pat, I stripped the Veloce off mine and built it back up with the same Record & Neutrons off the Dogma. The only differences were bars, stem & saddle and even then it was less than 8kg. So, probably 500g for the frame & forks. But my new Dogma is barely UCI legal!
The selling point for Pinarello for me is the handling. Weight differences are nominal on the road but the ride of the bike is paramount. The geometry, fit and ride are (according to Pina owners) why they keep buying them.
Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie, why lie when you can sleep. Brian Robinson