Presta Vs Schrader?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Skulls

Presta Vs Schrader?

Post by Skulls » 07 May 2013 16:54

OK, I might be a bit old but my thinking was always that Presta valve = better for high pressure narrow tubes; Schrader = better at holding low pressure, large volume.

I went out for an MTB ride with a mate last week who informd me that very few riders in the mtb world uses Schrader anymore. My bike is fitted with Schrader and I have no intention to change, just wondered what the opinion of the Beacon peaople was on this?
"If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." — Irving Layton

AlanW

Re: Presta Vs Schrader?

Post by AlanW » 07 May 2013 17:04

Skulls wrote:OK, I might be a bit old but my thinking was always that Presta valve = better for high pressure narrow tubes; Schrader = better at holding low pressure, large volume.

I went out for an MTB ride with a mate last week who informd me that very few riders in the mtb world uses Schrader anymore. My bike is fitted with Schrader and I have no intention to change, just wondered what the opinion of the Beacon peaople was on this?
I use Presta valves for a number of reasons:-

1) The tubes are lighter than Schrader.

2) I dont have to change the heads on my pumps just to blow up the my MTB tyres.

3) You have no other choice if you go down the tubeless route, and yes I would whole heartedly recommend going tubeless.

4) Schrader valves just arn't cool. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 07 May 2013 18:20

The greatest advantage of Schrader valves was the facility to inflate your tyres so easily at the local filling station with 'Free Air'
This was in my 1960's California days!
Nowadays I suspect No Free Air..... No Free Lunch .... No Free anything!

Sic Transi Gloria....
ALC

Skulls

Post by Skulls » 08 May 2013 16:44

Cheers chaps, well apart from the tubeless point I cn't see any big advantage of Presta over Schrader.....ok they're not as cool! :P

From experience Schrader valves are much better at the job they are designed to do...ie. Keep air inside the tube. My road bikes with Presta valves often need the pressure topping up at least weekly but my MTB with Schrader valves, I've had for three months without needing a pump!

I might have to downgrade when I go tubeless though! :wink:
"If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." — Irving Layton

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 May 2013 16:48

Oh and Schrader valves are used on footballs and lilos....... :roll:

They are so uncool Gary, so c'mon take a leap into the modern world, :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Skulls

Post by Skulls » 08 May 2013 16:51

AlanW wrote:Oh and Schrader valves are used on footballs and lilos....... :roll:
And aircraft tyres!
AlanW wrote:They are so uncool Gary, so c'mon take a leap into the modern world, :wink:
I mistakenly bought a presta tube for my spare so I'm getting there!

dweben

Post by dweben » 08 May 2013 19:58

Prestas also have a smaller diameter which reduces the weak spot on the rim of the wheel...

The screw cap means you don't end up sticking sticks/tyre levers into the valve to reduce pressure (mtb only!) -- much more accurate

The screw on the valve means the valve isn't ripped off if the tyre rotates, taking the tube with it and then the valve, just stretches a bit.

Presta works for deep section/carbon wheels (rare but occasionally seen in mtb land!)

As for deflating road tubes over mtb tubes, they will 'cos they're running at x4 the pressure. More than likely it's actually leaking through the tube itself!

Skulls

Post by Skulls » 06 Jun 2013 08:33

dweben wrote:
As for deflating road tubes over mtb tubes, they will 'cos they're running at x4 the pressure. More than likely it's actually leaking through the tube itself!
Having prchased a suspension pump recently, this got me thinking more about valves and the ability to hold pressure. My fork pressure is 135 psi and the schrader valve has held that exactly for more than a month now....maybe schrader is just an all round better design for all tyre pressures? ;-)