Stem Size: 80mm Vs 90mm

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

PatBoySlim

Stem Size: 80mm Vs 90mm

Post by PatBoySlim » 21 May 2013 10:13

Hi all,

When I had a custom fitting at bikedynamics Mike replaced the stem with a 90mm one, He said 80mm would of been better but would make the handling too twitchy. The Pinarello I've just bought has a 120mm stem which is far too long for me, so I'm going to replace it with a shorter one. Does anyone else use an 80mm stem or has or could give some recommendations?
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

toby

Post by toby » 21 May 2013 13:03

Hi Pat - I was uncomfortable from the 100mm stem that came with my bike and got an 80mm. It is probably the case that my bike is a little bit too big for me.
I use a Deda Zero2 stem. I could have paid a whole load more than the 25 quid this one cost me but I didn't know how much I'd want to experiment and try a 90mm.

I do not notice any twitchiness on descents at all.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 21 May 2013 14:20

Pat, use Mike's measurements to judge the difference as the Pin is likely to be slightly different to your old bike. Bear in mind that Mike tends to err on the shorter length stems as well. If you were comfortable with the 90 and the Pin measures the same, it's probably worth sticking with it.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 21 May 2013 14:23

Thanks Toby,

My specialized has a 90mm stem already, Ive ordered both 80 and 90mm Stems with a view to returning the incorrect one from Chainreaction cycles.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodpHoAlw

80mm has arrived so i'll see what its like tonight.

Whats interesting is My Specialized Allez is a 54cm which was too big (thanks Evans), The Pinarello is 51.5cm when you put the next to each other the measurements are the same so its easy to transfer.

Were'nt you going on a bike fitting course Greg ?
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard