Mavic Aksium (rear) wheel -cracks

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Neil Compton

Mavic Aksium (rear) wheel -cracks

Post by Neil Compton » 27 May 2013 20:58

Checking out my road bike today i noticed some cracks on the rear rim around a number of eyelets. Have replaced the wheel but just wondered what might have caused it. I'm thinking it's either just wear, hitting a pot hole ! or most likely...:( over tightening the spokes....

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 27 May 2013 21:06

How old's the wheel Neil?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 27 May 2013 21:41

I've seen this quite a few times with Aksiums. After a certain age the area around the eyelits seems to become brittle and fragile and prone to splitting . Wether it's through too much spoke tension, old age or lack of maintenance I don't know but quite often with the wheels in question the spoke eyelits are usually very dry and, perhaps corroded as a result. Must admit I love my Mavics and usually apply a small amount of TF2 or Gt85 to the eyelits just in case.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 27 May 2013 23:19

CakeStop wrote:How old's the wheel Neil?
They are the wheels i had with my Trek so must be close to 5 years old i think. Done quite a few miles but as you know i have two other bikes so it's not been continuously ridden during that time.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 27 May 2013 23:21

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:I've seen this quite a few times with Aksiums. After a certain age the area around the eyelits seems to become brittle and fragile and prone to splitting . Wether it's through too much spoke tension, old age or lack of maintenance I don't know but quite often with the wheels in question the spoke eyelits are usually very dry and, perhaps corroded as a result. Must admit I love my Mavics and usually apply a small amount of TF2 or Gt85 to the eyelits just in case.
I'll try that myself Nic. Thanks for the tip.