GPS? Any good?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Skulls

GPS? Any good?

Post by Skulls » 30 May 2013 16:41

I am considering GPS for my bike.
To be honest, I don't understand much about the functionality but I would like to download routes to follow etc, including mtb routes. Is this possible? What are the best models for route following?
Appreciate any help.....
I have used a Garmin Forerunner for a little bit of running and do use it on my bike but the functionality is fairly limited, mainly by the screen. Not bad for logging rides though.
"If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." — Irving Layton

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 30 May 2013 17:27

GPS for cycling only? If yes, look at the Garmin Edge range. Plenty of owners on this MB. If not, I'd recommend the Garmin eTrex 30 as an excellent general-purpose GPS.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 May 2013 18:37

Total waste of money.

Purchase a route card holder and a £1.99 AA Road Atlas which can be cut up into bits.

PS. And yes, I do own a GPS.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 May 2013 19:13

Best £125 I've ever spent, on cycling gear anyway.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Skulls

Post by Skulls » 30 May 2013 19:46

I've done the paper method before Phil, for years. However, I can't read without glasses now and I think GPS would help me, so it seems a no brainer.

Blimey, I remember sticking tiny direction notes and time splits on my stem for 100 mile TTs and tricky 50s.....old age is a terrible thing!

I think the key features for me would be large screen and good mapping for both on/off road. Is there such a GPS?

Andy, cycling only....running doesn't agree with my knees!
garmin would seem the obvious choice then.
"If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." — Irving Layton

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 30 May 2013 22:08

based on ur above post its the edge 800.

best £320 i ever spent...

EDIT: that cost more than my bike...

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 31 May 2013 07:40

Look at the Bryton Rider 50, better value than the Garmin not that Garmin are bad or anything
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 31 May 2013 19:54

Skulls wrote:Blimey, I remember sticking tiny direction notes and time splits on my stem .....
I used to write a list of village names on a strip of masking tape, stick that on the stem and then simply follow road signs from village to village. I've also used maps printed on A4 in a clear plastic bag or on an improvised map holder. However I've been an avid GPS fan for a few years now which I love because I love maps (not despite).

I only use the GPS when I need to for navigation using predetermined routes. It's encouraged me to explore new areas which I probably wouldn't have bothered with the faffage of a map and I enjoy the liberation from following audax routesheets (even though I keep one in my pocket as a back-up). The GPS displays the next instruction, counts down the distance to the next turn and beeps just before I reach it. I've also used it for a few long weekend rides and prefer it to having to follow and carry a few OS maps.

Edit - it's also given me confidence to try a few new routes for club runs which were a bit too complex to commit to memory without riding in advance.
Eat cake before you're hungry

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 01 Jun 2013 19:58

if you own a smartphone already, download some a free app and viola, you have a sat nav that makes telephone calls :)
Belt up, we're going for a ride