Water Proof Jacket Advice Required

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Water Proof Jacket Advice Required

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Jun 2013 17:54

I wish to purchase a new waterproof jacket that is actually waterproof, packable into a rear jersey pocket and breathable.

Does anyone have positive experiences of such a jacket, please?

George

Re: Water Proof Jacket Advice Required

Post by George » 16 Jun 2013 18:06

Philip Whiteman wrote: ... a jacket that is actually waterproof, packable into a rear jersey pocket and breathable.
Phil, as far as I'm aware, the marketing people employed by clothing companies are the only people who believe that such things actually exist.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 16 Jun 2013 20:41

There's a review on Bike Radar:
www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/bes ... ets-33565/

I've got the Sportful Hot Pack shown, which is really versatile and keeps the elements out to a degree, but it's by no means waterproof.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 16 Jun 2013 20:47

go up to decathlon, Waterproof jackets there are £10, Bargain, You might have to do some extreme folding though, ITS SERVED ME WELL!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

dweben

Post by dweben » 16 Jun 2013 21:03

Barry has one of these...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... 1#features

Looks like you could scrunch it up into a pocket and I recall him telling me it was very waterproof (as long as it's proofed I guess!) and so breathable he was cold (but dry).

Depends how much you want to spend, and whether you want a soft or hard shell. I prefer the Endura eVent stuff myself but it doesn't pack very well (have a waterproof gilet instead).

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 17 Jun 2013 00:57

Would like to help but mine's not really breathable.

Clive

Post by Clive » 17 Jun 2013 09:38

I have yet to find a waterproof shell that is actually 100% waterproof. I have been buying waterproofs for mountaineering for 25+ years and all have been very disappointing; they are not as waterproof or as breathable as claimed by the manufacturers in their marketing BS, and none to date have done what it says on the tin.

I don't have a cycle waterproof as such, but carry a Rab Momentum if it looks like rain. It is lightweight at about 360g but too bulky to go in a jersey pocket. It's made from Event fabric which I think is better than Goretex, but needs regular proofing to stay reasonably (never 100%) waterproof. It is not that breathable and if cycling hard I will be as wet from perspiration as from the rain. I have found that Event is not as hard wearing as Goretex and will rip much easier.

In fact in summer conditions I normally just get wet, or if cooler wear Pertex (Rab Vapor-rise), which although not waterproof is 100% windproof and breathable and allows one to dry completely between showers. Overall I seem to be drier in Pertex than in so called waterproofs.

One that recently caught my eye is Rab's Kinetic jacket. Very light at 230g and made from Pertex Shield plus. No experience of it myself, but is supposed to be waterproof as well as fully breathable. I may try it next, but it is around £120. I want one that I can walk, climb or cycle in and this ticks the boxes, and has a large enough hood to accommodate a helmet.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothin ... acket.html

http://www.adventuretravelmagazine.co.u ... acket-p110

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Jun 2013 10:35

I have a Gore Gore-Tex Pac Jac, and yes it is waterproof and it was expensive, just over a £100 I seem to recall. As the name suggests, it does pack down to fit in your back pocket and I would consider to be okay.

However, you do sweat like a dog in it if you start riding moderately hard or you are climbing as it has no vents at all. So what you gain in one area you lose out in another.

It is only a single skin layer jacket, which is why it packs down so small and if you are not wearing a long sleeve top or arm warmers then it does tend to stick to your bare skin making it rather unpleasant to ride in for any length of time.

But, IMHO it is good to carry with you if nothing else to keep the wind chill at bay should you need to stop for any length of time.

Over the years I have had a whole host of differant 'packable' waterproof jackets, and to be honest none have ever met my expectations. :cry:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Jun 2013 15:51

Thanks all. I have opted for a GORE jacket although not the model used by Barry - although I may return swap to that model if my ordered garment is not suitable.

I have generally been satisfied with my wet weather gear for mountain walking where plenty of options are available. Yet cycling does not appear to have mastered this technology yet. Perhaps the money is not their for manufacturers.

My preferred materials have always been e-Vent and Paramo Analogy. Nothing packable is produced in the former and I know by experimentation that Paramo is next to useless when cycling and certainly not practical in summer conditions.

Perhaps I could replicated the attire worn by a rather odd character on campus, who wears a wetsuit whilst cycling.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 19 Jul 2013 17:52

Can we have a picture of that character in the wet suit on his bike?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Jul 2013 18:06

Si_Walker wrote:Can we have a picture of that character in the wet suit on his bike?
I don't have a picture but here is a description:

A bearded man aged in his fifties riding an MTB. He wears an ill fitting black and yellow wetsuit that appears to have been bought from Aldi or such likes.

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 19 Jul 2013 19:00

Mr Whiteman i don't believe you. I'm not prepared to entertain any more of this gibberish without pictorial evidence....
you know what to do!!!

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 20 Jul 2013 08:01

This should keep the wet out, but is probably only borderline breathable.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oRQVYzgS414/U ... t+suit.jpg
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

deero83

Post by deero83 » 20 Jul 2013 14:28

This is my winter jacket which also is fine through spring and autumn. https://www.rapha.cc/hardshell-jacket

I cannot recommend it highly enough although it might be a slight push to pack it easily into a jersey pocket.

Fully waterproof and windproof, and relatively breathable.

Granted, it IS expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Their rain jacket is also highly rated on all of the reviews I've read, and a bit more packable I think. I went for the hardshell as it's got jersey-style pockets on the back.[/url]

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 15 Sep 2013 17:06

Just catching up with the board and spotted my name!
My jacket had turned out to be well worth the money for touring. Dry as a bone in all day hard rain, but we are not going fast. Easily packed into the back pocket. But the zip is v stiff.
I guess I'll soon find out how it breathes when pushing along on club ride.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 15 Sep 2013 17:26

slogfester wrote:But the zip is v stiff.
A smear of vaseline often eases stiff zips.
Eat cake before you're hungry

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 17 Sep 2013 18:47

Thanks Steve
I forgot to add that the hood I brilliant. Attaches by Velcro tab at back so you don't have to drag it with you always (e.g. when its just showers), and it pivots at the back allowing freedom of movement.
Stomped up a hill in rain yesterday and -yes- it was hot inside, but it's still 20oC here in the S France :)
Belt up, we're going for a ride