Is my frame knackered :(

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Andy_Craddock

Is my frame knackered :(

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 19:59

Just cleaned my bike after yesterdays audax and noticed something that I didnt like the look of.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid= ... 7247038582

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid= ... 7247038582

I know its not right but is it safe to ride. It could have been there a long time I dont know, ive only had the bike since january

Thanks

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 24 Jun 2013 20:01

unless its just my comp- those dont link to photos

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 24 Jun 2013 20:03

Can't see the photo's Andy - are they in a public album?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 24 Jun 2013 20:23

Hi Andy,

Don't have a google account can't see pics.

Is it the steel frame you were riding yesterday ?
I'd be surprised if there was a problem with such a good quality machine.

Feel free to text me the pics. 07734834016

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 20:27

says they are in a public folder

try these links

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132800608 ... 2514538866

Its on the chainstay, actually looks worse in the pictures :(

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 20:30

those links work on a different computer that isnt logged in so they should work.

yes it was what I was on yesterday.

I have just zoomed in as took it on a good camera, it is definitely a hole.

If you give me an email I can send them to you. Im gutted as its just hassle.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 24 Jun 2013 20:48

Just been reading that Condor provide excellent customer service so I'm sure they'll sort it out promptly.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Jun 2013 20:48

Nic is probably the most qualified to answer but I suspect that it will need to be physically examined. It could be just a nick in the coating from the picture

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 20:56

Steve, I hope so. Only shining light is Adrian at red kite offered me to test a super accaio the other week, maybe this will be my chance :)

Phil, thats what I thought, however if you zoom in you can clearly see that its a hole!

Will i be ok riding it to the shop?

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 24 Jun 2013 21:01

It certainly looks like a small hole, you could check I suppose with a small pin or similar. If it is a hole I should imagine it was always there & had just been covered over by the paint so I would suprised if it failed catastrophically on route to bike shop but I guess you could contact bike shop & email them link to photos for their view on safety of riding it.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 21:49

martin mc wrote:It certainly looks like a small hole, you could check I suppose with a small pin or similar. If it is a hole I should imagine it was always there & had just been covered over by the paint so I would suprised if it failed catastrophically on route to bike shop but I guess you could contact bike shop & email them link to photos for their view on safety of riding it.
Now im baffled

just had my torch on it and got a pin and it dont go through, so it isnt a hole, however it looks to have stripped back quite a bit. Definitely gone further than just the paint. Im happy to ride it I think but will email red kite tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks for all your advice, probably find im over reacting but I got rides planned this week :)

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 24 Jun 2013 22:03

If it's a steel chain stay I'd be amazed if it was a hole. It looks to me like a stone or whatever has taken a chunk out of the paintwork. If it is a hole then I agree with Martin that it's probably always been there.
If it's a carbon section of the frame that may be a different matter all together. Try to squeeze the area in question with your fingers if it moves there's a problem.

Take it back to Red Kite and they should deal with entire process of warranty etc.

I'd be very surprised if a respected builder such as Condor don't provide a good service.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 22:23

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:If it's a steel chain stay I'd be amazed if it was a hole. It looks to me like a stone or whatever has taken a chunk out of the paintwork. If it is a hole then I agree with Martin that it's probably always been there.
If it's a carbon section of the frame that may be a different matter all together. Try to squeeze the area in question with your fingers if it moves there's a problem.

Take it back to Red Kite and they should deal with entire process of warranty etc.

I'd be very surprised if a respected builder such as Condor don't provide a good service.
cheers Nic

It's on a steel part so thinking now it should be fine, doesnt appear to be any movement which is good.

Feel a lot better now, wanted to try the training ride on Wednesday from Red Lion, will take the bike to red kite on Friday after work. Im sure Condor will be very good if anything is wrong

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 24 Jun 2013 22:47

Excellent, see you Wednesday. Have your porridge, I hear Mr Regan has been wearing compression tights and taking ice baths.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 24 Jun 2013 22:55

My recovery has consisted of lots of coffee today at work, and an hour of playing squash after work today!

Legs a little sore but should be fine by Wednesday, see you then

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 25 Jun 2013 21:10

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:If it's a steel chain stay I'd be amazed if it was a hole. It looks to me like a stone or whatever has taken a chunk out of the paintwork. If it is a hole then I agree with Martin that it's probably always been there.

Pretty much what they said at red kite.

They are going to try and sort some touch up paint from condor.

If I suddenly disappear from the ride tomorrow night its either too quick or my frame gives up on me!

matthew

Post by matthew » 28 Jun 2013 17:58

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:Excellent, see you Wednesday. Have your porridge, I hear Mr Regan has been wearing compression tights and taking ice baths.
thank god you didn't put the wife's tights I wouldn't want anybody els to knowbb :lol:
m regan

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Jun 2013 19:09

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:..... I hear Mr Regan has been wearing compression tights and taking ice baths.
Cold baths and compression tights! I gave up on that years ago. My advice is self flagellation with birch branches to bleed out the lactic acid.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 28 Jun 2013 21:43

Philip Whiteman wrote:
Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:..... I hear Mr Regan has been wearing compression tights and taking ice baths.
Cold baths and compression tights! I gave up on that years ago. My advice is self flagellation with birch branches to bleed out the lactic acid.
Did you forget the leeches and trepanning?