Best wheel rims

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Clive

Best wheel rims

Post by Clive » 29 Jul 2013 14:46

The time has come to replace my wheel rims, both are worn thin now and the rear one has suffered recent pot hole damage.

The current rims are Mavic open pros, that have given good service of about 13000 miles.

Are there better rims available?, would like to know what others think. I need a bombproof durable rim for long and audax rides, weight being important but not the primary consideration.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Jul 2013 19:58

:shock:

13000 out of open pros? Jeez I thought I'd been pushing my luck at 9000 for a front used mainly in good weather with rim friendly blocks when I finally realised that not checking the front because the rear was OK wasn't really valid having put a new wheel on the back a few thousand miles ago because of a dodgy hub.

I've noted comments from others that open pros have an even shorter lifetime than they used to but I've not yet found anything better and if I can get anything approaching 9000 miles out of them I'm not inclined to try.

If anybody suggests Rigida Chrina, they're not a true friend.
Eat cake before you're hungry

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 30 Jul 2013 17:31

I have a pair of Campag 'Mexico' rims, built up with Mirage hubs towards the end of the last century. I had new hubs built in about three years back at Echelon Cycles, and the rims were pronounced to be perfectly good. Must have done about 40k now. Still use them as winter wheels.
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Clive

Post by Clive » 30 Jul 2013 18:57

CakeStop wrote::shock:

13000 out of open pros? Jeez I thought I'd been pushing my luck at 9000 for a front used mainly in good weather with rim friendly blocks when I finally realised that not checking the front because the rear was OK wasn't really valid having put a new wheel on the back a few thousand miles ago because of a dodgy hub.

I've noted comments from others that open pros have an even shorter lifetime than they used to but I've not yet found anything better and if I can get anything approaching 9000 miles out of them I'm not inclined to try.

If anybody suggests Rigida Chrina, they're not a true friend.
Now you tell me! why?

I'm using a Rigida Chrina rim on my rear (wheel) at the moment. It was my first attempt at wheel building so I wanted to use a cheap rim (£15) along with Sapim steel spokes and a rebuilt old Tiagra hub for a spare. ok and stayed true so far (fingers crossed for the Kiddy Killer)

Actually, the open pros have done more miles than I first thought, just totted it up and they have covered 15300 miles winter and summer, so not bad and earned their keep I think. here is still some life in the rims, just replacing because pot hole damage and can't get true.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Jul 2013 20:02

Clive wrote:
CakeStop wrote: If anybody suggests Rigida Chrina, they're not a true friend.
Now you tell me! why?I'm using a Rigida Chrina rim on my rear (wheel) at the moment.
Oh well, if they work for you. I replaced a broken Open Sport with a Chrina because it was only a pub bike wheel and folks on YACF said they're cheaper, stronger and are better to build with. Trouble is I can't get tyres that are finger jobs on Mavics on the Chrina even with levers so I'd be reluctant to ride more than a few miles from home with it. I can just about manage to curse on a Vittoria something or other that has a reputation for being a loose fit. It's because the rim side walls are slightly deeper and the way peoples' experience varies suggests it may even vary from rim to rim or batch to batch and I was unlucky.

Clive

Post by Clive » 31 Jul 2013 08:58

I've fitted a half worn Continental sport with a bit of a struggle, but not taken it off yet.

Good point though, it will be a tricky one to mend on the roadside. I'd better get some good levers in.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jul 2013 09:21

I am inclined to question the cost and benefit of replacing rims if the wheels have covered considerable miles. Nipples, hubs and spokes all suffer wear and tear. Whilst replacing the rims may resolve an immediate problem, at some stage the other items will start failing with age. Plus you also have to factor in the cost of the new rims along with labour costs. It may be more worthwhile replacing the wheel(s).

Clive

Post by Clive » 31 Jul 2013 09:39

I've thought about that. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other situation.

A new hand built wheel the same (Hope3 hub with Mavic open pro rim) is about £200. I've ordered a new open pro rim for £39, will use new nipples of course for £3-£4, and a new rim tape £3. Will reuse the spokes as they are good ones (Swiss DT) and seem in good nick.

If I got a cycle shop to do it, they would charge £30-£40 for the re build and £30 or so for new spokes as they will not re use old ones.

Even with having to buy a replacement steel free hub for £60, the rebuild will cost about half of a new wheel. Time will tell if I've made the right call I suppose.

I've also stripped down the hub, and the bearings are as good as new, and no need to replace at the moment.
Last edited by Clive on 31 Jul 2013 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 31 Jul 2013 17:41

If hub's and spokes last at least twice as long as rims (which they typically do) then it makes perfect sense.

Edit - I see someone on YACF has now suggested Chrina (it had to happen eventually). Some of the suggestions may have a different ERD so require a change of spokes if that bothers you. Personally I'm sticking to Open Pro for most purposes until I have a bad experience with them and if I was to replace an Open Sport again I'd use another Open Sport.

Clive

Post by Clive » 31 Jul 2013 18:26

I would Hope (pardon the pun) that the Hope hub lasts for a lot, lot longer than this. At 15000 it is as new except for the freehub.

I am beginning to wonder if the extra expense for something like a Hope hub with sealed cartridge bearings is worth it? Financially no, functionally I'm not sure but it does seem smoother and has less rolling resistance than a traditional hub.

The Shimano Tiagra ones that came with the bike in 2008 are still going strong on my spare wheel set, they give good service if they are serviced, cleaned and re greased every year.

In fact, I still have some 1980's Exage HG50 hubs from my old Dawes Response, now on "Bones" my hybrid bike, these have covered most of 100,000 miles. A traditional hub with ball races and has given excellent reliable service with annual stripping down and servicing. I think the ball races are machined in the hub and are not replaceable, so are at the end of their life really.

Hope rear hub. £103. 361g. +steel freehub +£52 + 68g

Shimano Tiagra. £22. 375g. includes steel freehub

Good functional kit, or just bike bling??

Carl_Williams

Post by Carl_Williams » 31 Jul 2013 22:13

I built myself a set of Ambrosio Zenith with Ambrosio Excellence at The Bike Foundry. The course was £50 and their Tool Club was £5/year. I've only trued them once after a couple years of commuting across the city. I recommend all of the above. I only chose Ambrosio over Mavic due to lots of pro mechanics used them for their Classics wheels.
I agree choosing the right brake block compound is paramount to keeping wear at bay. Avoid Tektro!!
If you laced the new rim yourself, Fin at The Bike Foundry would probably help you true it without you doing the course. They've two Park truing stands. I trued a pair of crashed Boras in under an hour last Thursday.
Rolling along on a good set of hand-built wheels you've built yourself is a great feeling.
Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie, why lie when you can sleep. Brian Robinson