Mixing Campag & Shimano

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

George

Mixing Campag & Shimano

Post by George » 06 Aug 2013 11:45

You obviously can't use one manufacturer's shifters with another's derailleurs, or one manufacturer's rear derailleur with another's cassette; your indexing would be all over the shop if you did. However, I can't immediately think of why you shouldn't use one manufacturer's chainset + BB with another's front derailleur + shifter.

Am I missing something?

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 06 Aug 2013 13:46

George...........you can use campag ergo-power shifters with a shimano cassette, and rear mech you just need to re-space the sprockets. Have a look at Highpath engineering website........all will be revealed. I have used them and they are very good.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 06 Aug 2013 21:03

Yeah CTC Forum has had lots of discussion about Shimagnola set ups.

dweben

Post by dweben » 06 Aug 2013 22:08

Hmm, I use shimano shifters and sram cassettes on my two mtbs. They work just fine. It's the bloody shimano front shifter on shimano chainrings which causes me issues! ;)

John Sanderson

Re: Mixing Campag & Shimano

Post by John Sanderson » 08 Aug 2013 09:30

George wrote:You obviously can't use one manufacturer's shifters with another's derailleurs, or one manufacturer's rear derailleur with another's cassette; your indexing would be all over the shop if you did. However, I can't immediately think of why you shouldn't use one manufacturer's chainset + BB with another's front derailleur + shifter.

Am I missing something?
Assuming you mean the 'cage' by derailleur - surely you can mix shifters and derailleurs - as the indexing is on the shifter and that relates to the spacing on the cassette. So the cage itself doesn't affect the movement?
It's all about the bike.

George

Post by George » 08 Aug 2013 09:56

Thanks for the feedback, everyone; useful food for thought.

The background to this is that (as described elsewhere in embarrassing detail) I went over to a modern Campag chainset and B/B set-up on my best bike at the start of the summer. Now that I've got the alignment sorted, I'm very pleased with the set-up in terms of ride experience, but I'm very displeased with it in terms of serviceability. I'd eventually like to migrate all my bikes to modern outboard bearing B/Bs, but I'm dubious about going with Campag because of the serviceability issues. On the other hand, I don't want to replace the whole drivetrain/shifting set-up on all the bikes. So I'm just mulling over the options.

If only Shimano stuff wasn't so damned ugly.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 08 Aug 2013 11:38

Easy, stop watching football and get rid of the Campag.