Mudguards

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

deero83

Mudguards

Post by deero83 » 15 Aug 2013 13:12

Hi all

I am looking for some mudguards for my 'best' bike, which does not have mudguard mounts on the frame.

I would therefore need some clip-on ones, which would seem to narrow it down to SKS RaceBlades and Crud RoadRacer Mk2s.

Just wondered what experience you guys have of these and which is best (or any others you would suggest)?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Aug 2013 13:36

SKS,= have a better clearance the Crudcatchers which can clog up in muddy conditions. Plus they SKS have a greater width. The only problem with SKS are the rubber bindings which can move and occasionally spring off the hooks. If purchasing SKS, get the sligthtly more expensive version which also rubber water deflector attachments which can be attached to the bottom of the guard.

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 15 Aug 2013 18:47

I have the SKS, only problem I have had is the front one which sometimes rubbed on the tire making it very annoying. A good soak in hot water and sliding the bottom bracket upwards as far as I could get it to go seems to have cured this now though. To be honest I wouldn't be without them. Not good for CX on that bloody "lane" though. I get off and walk.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 15 Aug 2013 20:29

Before you fit either to your best bike make sure you put some tape around the seat stays & forks first to protect paint.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 15 Aug 2013 21:31

Have a look at SKS Race Blade Longs.
Full mudguards that attach to the wheel skewers so no need for frame and fork eyelets. They have a nice cutaway section to accommodate the calipers without faffing around for evermore to stop rubbing.
They're easily detachable and there's no need to tape up the stays.