Etrex or Edge?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Between Peaks

Etrex or Edge?

Post by Between Peaks » 23 Sep 2013 15:47

Yes, it's another GPS thread :roll:

I'm looking for a GPS unit that I can load a route onto (e.g. an Audax route) and the unit tells me when to turn (and in which direction of course) and obviously I need the ability to record routes so I can continue to prop up the bottom of the Beacon Strava League.

I don't need HRM or cadence functions but I would also like to be able to use it for walking.

I think the machine I need is the Garmin Etrex 30 but a) am I correct and b) are there alternatives I should consider?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Sep 2013 16:54

I have an eTrex 30 and I think it will do what you want.

George

Post by George » 23 Sep 2013 18:30

What is the "Worldwide basemap" like Andy? Do you use additional maps on a MicroSD?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Sep 2013 21:16

The base map has very little detail - major roads only - so is of limited use.

In common with others on this MB, I use the TalkyToaster maps compiled from OpenStreetMap data.

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

I have used similar maps in Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany and Romania - for walking and cycling.

The maps are easy to install - just download, unzip and copy to micro SD card.

George

Post by George » 23 Sep 2013 22:05

Thanks. I would have been slightly hesitant about using an OSM-based map in e.g. Eastern Europe, where one tends to fear that coverage might be patchy. So it's particularly interesting to know that you've used them successfully in Romania.

How do you go about identifying the best OSM-based map to use abroad?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 24 Sep 2013 10:14

George wrote:How do you go about identifying the best OSM-based map to use abroad?
Start here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

George

Post by George » 24 Sep 2013 10:30

Thanks, Andy.

Some friends of ours have recently taken a two-year posting to Bratislava and there's a good chance that we'll visit them, maybe next summer. If we do, obviously I'll be taking the bike. Hence my interest in using GPS in unfamiliar parts of Eastern Europe.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 24 Sep 2013 11:00

Freizeitkarte could be worth a look then.

Between Peaks

Post by Between Peaks » 24 Sep 2013 12:14

Thanks Andy!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 24 Sep 2013 21:45

Neil
if you have a Android smartphone, just download OSMAnd+ from the Google Play store. It is open source Ware based upon osm. Brilliant. I have been using it for 4 months touring round Europe and it hasn't missed a beat. Downloadable offline maps. Turn by turn navigation specifically for bicycles. Also will do gpx routes and tracks.
Get a herbert richter bicycle mount and a weatherproof case.
Osm maps are now waaay superior to google/tom tom etc for w.europe. We used osm for e.europe 4 years a go and it was ok then, so I would guess much better now. Slovakia in particular seemed to be pushing ahead with digitisation of its geography.
I'll demo osmand+ next Sunday if you're interested.
Cheers
Barry
Belt up, we're going for a ride

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 25 Sep 2013 21:29

Thanks for this Andy. I've installed the "experimental 1:50 OS look & feel mapset" and it looks good. Last time I tried a map with more detail I found it slowed the page refresh when on the move (my Etrex Vista Hcx is quite a few years old now) and the contrast wasn't clear so I reverted to Andy Gates's MunkyMaps. Even if this OS style map isn't good for cycling with my old Garmin I'll keep it for walking purposes.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Between Peaks

Post by Between Peaks » 25 Sep 2013 21:47

Cheers Barry but I'm an iPhone user (which I do use for GPS but battery life isn't great)
slogfester wrote:Neil
if you have a Android smartphone, just download OSMAnd+ from the Google Play store. It is open source Ware based upon osm. Brilliant. I have been using it for 4 months touring round Europe and it hasn't missed a beat. Downloadable offline maps. Turn by turn navigation specifically for bicycles. Also will do gpx routes and tracks.
Get a herbert richter bicycle mount and a weatherproof case.
Osm maps are now waaay superior to google/tom tom etc for w.europe. We used osm for e.europe 4 years a go and it was ok then, so I would guess much better now. Slovakia in particular seemed to be pushing ahead with digitisation of its geography.
I'll demo osmand+ next Sunday if you're interested.
Cheers
Barry

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 25 Sep 2013 22:49

CakeStop wrote:
Thanks for this Andy. I've installed the "experimental 1:50 OS look & feel mapset" and it looks good. Last time I tried a map with more detail I found it slowed the page refresh when on the move (my Etrex Vista Hcx is quite a few years old now) and the contrast wasn't clear so I reverted to Andy Gates's MunkyMaps. Even if this OS style map isn't good for cycling with my old Garmin I'll keep it for walking purposes.
For some reason Munky doesn't work on my eTrex 30. I am using the 'OS 1:50K look and feel' ones. Sometimes it helps to raise/lower the level of detail displayed.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 25 Sep 2013 23:34

edge all the way, its like choosing between android and apple!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.