Pedal upgrade?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Tim

Pedal upgrade?

Post by Tim » 28 Nov 2013 16:01

Have had 105s for few years. No issues with them but need new cleats soon so considering upgrade.

Any recomendations for under £80?

Anyone got the time Xpresso? Good reviews in magazines and a third lighter than 105s but heard cleats aren't durable.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... edals.html 

Or should I just stick with what I know works?

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 28 Nov 2013 16:39

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/ have speedplay zero for £85 at the min. Just ordered as 2nd pair for my other bike, got my 1st pair end of the summer and have nuffing but good things to say about them

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Nov 2013 17:29

Cheers Mark, look like just what I'm after and I hadn't considered them. They are on my Christmas list!

Very interesting reading some of the online customer reviews as well after Thursday night and all of the discussion around knee pain prevention and treatment and the question of whether cleats were causing more issues with knees.

Here are reviews off CRC:

'I was using Shimano SPDs, but starting to get sore knees.
I changed to Speedplays and couldn't believe the difference.
They are so comfortable, after a few days use, very easy to get in and out of.
Never have any knee problems now (two years use).
Your foot just seems to be a a more natural position with these'

'Me and my knees want to thank Speedplay'

'Like many others I looked to speedplay to resolve my knee issues - I had a professional fit with SPDs and Specialized shoes but my knee just kept playing up - well the speedplays arrived last Monday and I have ridden with them everyday to and from work and just had a nice long ride this morning (saturday) - they are simply fantastic - both knees track where they want to and I have left the free float by the third day I forgot the 'skating on ice feeling' and very used to them - they are very solid and feel great to ride - they improve your pedal stroke I reckon.'

'They are easy entry and exit, easy on the knees and robust.'

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 30 Nov 2013 19:54

Is there a reason for ditching the 105's if you haven't had any problems?

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Nov 2013 20:06

Good question Ed and true answer is no. Just had them for 5 years and never used any other pedal so don't know if others are better. I still on occasion miss clipping in so double sided appeals plus others are 100g/third lighter! Rotational weight and all that.

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 01 Dec 2013 06:06

Tim, I used to use 105 pedals and suffered terribly from pain on my inside left knee. Tried all sorts of cleat positions, stretching, supplements but pain got so bad that had to rest every couple of weeks over the summer.

Bought speedplays and the increased float completely solved the problem, can now ride days back to back no problem also which is not something I could do previously due to the on going knee pain. And clipping in and out has never been so simple.

They are weird at first, seem a bit overwhelming to set up also and I had difficulty clipping in to start with as im so light, found myself on google a few times questioning how they worked. But once the cleats break in and you get used to them they are amazing things. Short learning curve but very worth it for the overall performance once up and running.