New web-based navigation site

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

slogfester

New web-based navigation site

Post by slogfester » 20 Jan 2014 16:56

I think this is fairly new?

http://cycle.travel/

Based upon OSM. Their 'circular route' mode is promising. I have already successfully used it once.
Route and City Guides worth a look too.

B (no affiliation)
Belt up, we're going for a ride

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Jan 2014 19:59

Just had a quick play around with it, its quite good isnt it?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 20 Jan 2014 21:13

AlanW wrote:Just had a quick play around with it, its quite good isnt it?
Er ... not really. The maps are nice-looking but, as a route planner, it's way behind RWGPS.

- can't switch to different maps types e.g. aerial photo
- no access to Streetview
- there is no 'undo' button
- can't zoom in far enough
- no 'follow lines' option
- no coverage outside UK
- no route search

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 21 Jan 2014 06:00

Andy Terry wrote:
AlanW wrote:Just had a quick play around with it, its quite good isnt it?
Er ... not really. The maps are nice-looking but, as a route planner, it's way behind RWGPS.

- can't switch to different maps types e.g. aerial photo
- no access to Streetview
- there is no 'undo' button
- can't zoom in far enough
- no 'follow lines' option
- no coverage outside UK
- no route search
Yes, I agree that its way behind sites such as RWGPS, and as you have detailed it does have it flaws. My comment of being quite good was the ability to do a "round route", which again it isnt perfect, but its quite good. :lol:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 22 Jan 2014 12:33

Agreed it lacks a lot of features, but the round-trip function is relatively rare.

I have been using 'Run.gps' smartphone app (and its associated web-site) since 2007:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l&hl=en_GB

Ironically, because it was developed back in the days of small poor touch (stab!) screens, its UI is still the best I can find for use on the bicycle. I find the UI on many recent apps way too cluttered.

The Route Planner within the host website (http://www.gps-sport.net/) is IMHO as powerful/useful as it gets. You can go direct to the Route Planner here:

http://rp.gps-sport.net

Note, you have to register (free) with them, but I have not had one piece of spam in 7 years.

I just cant get on with RWGPS.

I'm always interested to learn what others are using and their experience with routing/smartphone apps. Particularly so at the moment as I am just re-tooling due to the roll-out of Bluetooth 4.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Jan 2014 13:46

Just tried gps-sport. It's good, but I still prefer RWGPS for planning. I like the ability to switch between 'follow roads' and 'draw lines' when the routing software won't play ball.

My 'toolkit' is:

RWGPS for route planning, download to GPX
GPSBabel for 'tweaking' e.g. reducing number of trackpoints
eTrex 30 for navigation and track recording
GPS Track Editor for tidying up tracks
upload to Strava for the record

I think I can do everything (apart from GPSBabel and GPS Track Editor) on my Android tablet as well as the PC.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 22 Jan 2014 15:29

gps-sport route planner has 7 'Routing modes': beeline (straight line), foot, bike, racing bike, mtb, car, car(shortest).
You can switch between all 7 when using 3 create/edit methods: insert points at beginning, between, and end of track.
Like you, I dart between all 7 x 3.
N.B. Recently I have found their route planner to work best using Chrome.

I have not tried GPS track editor, and have been looking for offline editors, so thanks will take a look.

For training and pre-configured routes, I use run.gps on my Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone mounted on stem. Easy to see, configurable screens and voice instructions. run.gps will do on-the-road nav, but needs data connection. So,
For on-the-road offline (using free OSM maps) navigation I use OSMAnd+ app. Brilliant, got me 4000 km round Europe with few glitches. Lacks a elevation profile for planning- coming soon hopefully.

Both will record a gpx track. But I have also just joined the Strava club (very scary... have you seen how much Alan does each week!), so I run that too in the background.