Strava Route Builder

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Andy Terry

Strava Route Builder

Post by Andy Terry » 03 Feb 2014 10:10

Looks very good. Nice clean interface, easy to use, 'manual' mode, different map options, and the segment explorer. A worthy rival to RWGPS.

If anyone finds out how to delete a route, let us know.

George

Re: Strava Route Builder

Post by George » 03 Feb 2014 11:45

Andy Terry wrote:Looks very good. Nice clean interface, easy to use, 'manual' mode, different map options, and the segment explorer. A worthy rival to RWGPS.

If anyone finds out how to delete a route, let us know.
Haha, yes, I had a play with it the other day too and quite liked the look of it, and I like the idea of having routes on the same platform as ride data ... but, like you, I have been unable to work out how to delete the exciting 8.2km expedition known as 'Just testing'.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Feb 2014 15:15

When you click on "My Routes", you will then see all the routes that you have created.

Look on the right hand side of the small map and you will see a star and a spanner shape. Click on the spanner and it will give you the option to either edit or delete that route.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 03 Feb 2014 16:56

AlanW wrote:When you click on "My Routes", you will then see all the routes that you have created.

Look on the right hand side of the small map and you will see a star and a spanner shape. Click on the spanner and it will give you the option to either edit or delete that route.
Cheers ... never noticed that little grey spanner lurking in the corner!

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 03 Feb 2014 17:28

Thanks, Alan. 8-]

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 05 Feb 2014 11:40

Had a go. Not bad at all. I especially like the 'use popularity' routing.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

George

Post by George » 18 Mar 2014 08:54

Having been blind to one significant feature of the Strava route builder that was staring me in the face (see above), I wonder: am I doing the same again?

Has anyone found a way of:
a) saving a ride as a route
and/or
b) importing a route?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2014 17:01

George wrote:Having been blind to one significant feature of the Strava route builder that was staring me in the face (see above), I wonder: am I doing the same again?

Has anyone found a way of:
a) saving a ride as a route
and/or
b) importing a route?
I'm pretty certain that you cannot save a ride as a route, you would have to utilize RWGPS (or any of the other free mapping sites) and export it from Strava for that?

The same goes with the next question I think. But I am curious as to why would you want to import a route or save a ride as a route in Strava George?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 18 Mar 2014 18:26

AlanW wrote:But I am curious as to why would you want to import a route or save a ride as a route in Strava George?
I quite like using the Strava route builder, Alan, partly because it's well-designed, and partly because I like having my ride data and routes in one place.

Ultimately, I'd like to have all my saved routes on one platform, not scattered across several. That would imply importing old routes to Strava.

Sometimes I do a ride that someone else is leading, or that's waymarked, or that I'm making up as I go along. Or I do or see a route that someone else has planned using other software. Then I may want to add that route to my personal route collection to ride again some other time, or to use as a basis for creating a derived route. In those situations, importing or saving a ride as a route would enable me to keep all my routes in one place without re-plotting.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Mar 2014 21:13

Rides (aka trips aka tracks) and routes differ in the way they are stored and managed in mapping web sites. I'm no expert but I understand that because of the difference, it is not easy to convert ride to route. And it is virtually impossible to do it and make it editable. (RWGPS lets you convert ride to to route via 'copy to my routes' option, but the result is not usable as the basis of a derived route)

I use RWGPS and/or Strava for route planning, and Strava for ride recording. Being naturally cautious, I keep local backup copies of all my GPX files (routes and rides) just in case - remember the Bike Route Toaster 'hiatus'.

George

Post by George » 19 Mar 2014 09:38

Andy Terry wrote:Being naturally cautious, I keep local backup copies of all my GPX files (routes and rides) just in case - remember the Bike Route Toaster 'hiatus'.
So do I, Andy. But for editing, sharing and convenient viewing, I'd like the 'active' files all on the same on-line platform. But it sounds as though I'll have to wait as far as that's concerned. In the meantime, I'll continue uploading local files to BikeHike when I want to view or share an old route. However, that's not a very quick or convenient way to view an old route, and BikeHike isn't anywhere near as good as Strava or RwGPS for editing, I don't think (although the 'Cut to end' and 'Reverse route' tools are handy).

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 20 Mar 2014 17:40

The route planner in gps-sport.net allows import and creation/editing of routes from tracks and routes

George

Post by George » 21 Mar 2014 10:40

slogfester wrote:The route planner in gps-sport.net allows import and creation/editing of routes from tracks and routes
I'd not previously seen that one, Barry. Thanks for pointing it out. I wonder how they are able to overcome the technical issues that Andy mentioned if Strava can't? I'd be tempted to give the site a whirl, except that it's yet another place ... and I'd like to simplify things, not fragment them further.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 21 Mar 2014 11:00

Just had a quick look and imported a track into gps-sport.net no problem. So it could be shared easily.

The difficulty comes when you try to adapt/edit the route. You can extend it OK and the routing kicks in to make it follow the road. It doesn't look like you can re-align or adjust sections of the route by dragging. There are no 'handles' to drag on because it was imported from a track. You can re-position individual track points but auto routing does not happen when you do this.

Unless there is something I can't see, Barry.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Mar 2014 06:50

Garmin Connect?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Mar 2014 09:48

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Mar 2014 12:00

Andy Terry wrote:
AlanW wrote:Garmin Connect?
http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=6336
Oh yes, I remember now... :oops:

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 22 Mar 2014 21:36

Andy et al

You can not drag routes (like google) in the route planner/manager of www.gps-sport.net, but you can delete bits in the middle and then insert follow-the-road sections:

- select the section you want to change
- delete
- then make sure 'insert points on track' (=middle of track) is selected
- click on a point you know you want to pass through and the new section will be inserted
- zoom right in to drag or delete (double click) individual track/route points.

One thing... the developers have recently updated the route planner and I have noticed that it works much better in Chrome than other browsers.

George, I have been using it since 2007 and they have not lost a route/track yet. All routes/tracks are savable locally.