Loading routes on GPS units

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 11 Feb 2014 00:10

It's my birthday in March so I was thinking of getting my entire family to throw pounds in a pot and then selling one of my kidneys in order to help fund the purchase of a Garmin 810.
Can I just upload the above links onto that and huzzah, I know where I'm going?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, it's marginally relevant.

Thanks
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Feb 2014 09:19

StuartWhite wrote:Can I just upload the above links onto that and huzzah, I know where I'm going?
Correct. If you can do without the extra features on the 810, there are probably some good deals to be had on the 800 at the moment. The 500/510 can also be used for navigation, but without an actual map (you just follow a line on the screen).

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 11 Feb 2014 09:29

Of course, if it's just navigation you want, the eTrex 30 is half the price of the 810.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 11 Feb 2014 10:02

if you have a smartphone, just use that. If you don't then for less than 200 you can buy a really good one.
it will even call home when you get lost :wink:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Feb 2014 15:11

slogfester wrote:if you have a smartphone, just use that. If you don't then for less than 200 you can buy a really good one.
it will even call home when you get lost :wink:
Not so practical if you also want to use it while racing, though.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 11 Feb 2014 18:46

The batteries on smartphones don't last too long when using the location/GPS functions, my iPhone 3 only lasted 2 hours before I purchased a Garmin. Not tried the IPhone 5
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 12 Feb 2014 10:29

Mods- this sub-thread needs to be moved to Technical.

Laurence- while I agree its not wise to make/receive a call in the middle of a race :lol: I don't see why a smartphone can not be carried. Modern mini-smartphones are probably no bigger/heavier than race radios. Indeed, the whole HTC team used to have a smartphone strapped under their saddle for real-time data gathering/transmission.

Pat- yep, batteries in old iThings are rubbish. They are also -of course- non swappable/replaceable. I understand the 5 is better, but still not a touch on some other manufacturers. But GPS is now much more energy efficient. On Sunday's club ride I ran my Galaxy S3 for 5 cold (hammers the battery) hours with the screen, GPS, data, volume (full) and Bluetooth all on and still arrived with about 30% battery left.
Belt up, we're going for a ride