Exceeding expectations

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

keith

Exceeding expectations

Post by keith » 10 May 2014 20:48

I picked up a small saddle back from Aldi on Friday perfectly serviceable bit of kit very similar to the Top Peak product but at £4.99 about a third of the price. None branded but OK, exactly what I expected. Imagine my surprise therefore when I opened it up and found, patches and chalk, a multi tool 2 multi spanners with spoke key,and tyre levers. Wasn't expecting that. They also do a larger version,

John D

Post by John D » 10 May 2014 22:07

Also bought one of those last Sunday and it's still in its packaging. Thought it was quite heavy but assumed that was due to packing material etc. to demonstrate its size. call that a result :D

George

Post by George » 11 May 2014 13:51

I have some panniers and a rack-fit 'briefcase' that I bought from Aldi about five years ago. From memory, I think I paid about £15 for the pannier set and £6 for the briefcase. They are very similar to some branded products that sell for five times the price, and at first sight there doesn't seem to be much difference in quality. Admittedly, I've only given them light use; maybe in regular use they would prove less robust.

On the other hand, about a year ago I bought an ultra-light Gamex-style packaway windstopper jacket at Aldi. Again, the fabric and stitching looked identical to much more expensive products. In use, however, its failing came to light. The tailoring was all wrong, causing the cuffs to ride up to the middle of my forearms and the hem to ride up to my midriff, so that I was left wearing a balloon around my shoulders, which flapped like a sail and prevented me looking over my shoulder. I used it for about a month last autumn, then ended up spending more money on a branded product to replace it. It wasn't expensive, but I might as well have put a match to a £20 note.