Tubeless?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Tim

Tubeless?

Post by Tim » 06 Jun 2014 13:36

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/east ... prod119824

Anyone run tubeless or have these? Clare Grice is only person I know who has tubeless,, doesn't seem to slow her down!

Not majorly in need of new wheels but my winter/training ones are reaching their end of life

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Jun 2014 19:03

I know a story about some dick that fitted std tyres to tubeless ready wheels.... :oops: I can still see the stains of liquid Latex on the garage ceiling!

HERE

But aside from that, if there was more of a choice with the tyres then I would not hesitate to go tubeless on the road bike to be honest. I went tubeless on my MTB years ago, and I have never ever looked back since.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 06 Jun 2014 21:49

I have recently considered going tubeless for some 35/50 deep sections and spent e few weeks doing the obligatory research and quizzing of mates...mixed responses really Tim. Some loved them...others noticed very little difference between tubs and decent clinchers. Ultimately as with most kit...it comes down to personal preference. In the end i bottled the gamble and went for clincher wheels.

Patch

Post by Patch » 07 Jun 2014 07:27

Tubs and tubelessare not to be confused. By tubeless we mean clinchers running without inner tubes. Alan is spot on. Nearly all good mtbs will be running tubeless now. Less weight no pinch flats and the sealant in the tyre deals with small **flat**s. Downside is you need specific rims and tyres really although people do mess with converting normal rims and tyres.
For the road there's not much tyre choice.
Patch

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 07 Jun 2014 11:38

Tube less, tubular tyres...now that's an idea, why has no body tried it?
Must admit that having laughed at the various stories of people attempting to use tubular are standard road rims (which does work with low pressure mtb rims) I would be even more amused to see some one attempting tubular to tub wheels rims.. 8)

Tim

Post by Tim » 07 Jun 2014 20:43

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... ss-tyresks all.

Yep Andrew I thought for for years tubular was same as tubeless.

The above get good reviews but can't find them stocked/for sale anywhere?! And price is crazy steep £110 for pair!

And then what's the difference with the above and the "tubeless ready" below? Apart from it being cheaper!

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... o-racestar

Think will stick with clinchers too

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Jun 2014 21:02

Tim wrote:The above get good reviews but can't find them stocked/for sale anywhere?! And price is crazy steep £110 for pair!
Tim,

I "think" that you will find that this is the price for the complete kit that includes the tyres, valves and sealant and not just the tyres alone?
Tim wrote:And then what's the difference with the above and the "tubeless ready" below? Apart from it being cheaper!

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... o-racestar
As I read it, these tyres are correct to fit if you have tubeless ready wheels. All you would need is a bottle of Stans No Tubes and a couple of UST valves (the ones with the removable cores ideally) Just check the length that your require as they do sell different length valves.

Also, you may want to consider getting one of these - HERE Very useful for removing the liquid latex as well as inserting it into the tyre via the valve.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 07 Jun 2014 21:18

Sometimes, I wonder if I e-wandered on to some deeply perverse forum :shock:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 07 Jun 2014 21:33

Tim wrote:.
The above get good reviews but can't find them stocked/for sale anywhere?! And price is crazy steep £110 for pair!
I know a shop that has a kit...

Tim

Post by Tim » 08 Jun 2014 19:53

Thanks Greg I think I will stick with clinchers though and my 4000s at £50 a pair.

The Easton wheels from CRC though can just be used with clinchers, are Easton any good? the customer reviews are excellent online, or are they 55% off cos they r actually crap?

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 08 Jun 2014 22:36

Tim you have a pm