Am I a freak?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

George

Am I a freak?

Post by George » 01 Jul 2014 14:29

At this time of year, I get a lot of flies and dust in my eyes. So, every few years, I think to myself, "you really ought to be like everyone else and get yourself some shades."

I do so, and quickly find that the glasses are more trouble than the flies and the dust. The bottoms of the lenses invariably touch my cheeks (at least when gurning), causing little pools of sweat to collect, resulting in steaming up of the lenses and to the formation of patches of raw skin. And the tops of the lenses/the rims always seem to be directly in my line of sight when I'm leaning forward, either obscuring my view ahead altogether or leaving me squinting out over the tops.

So I swear and curse and go back to riding shadeless.

But gradually the memory of my frustration fades, and I begin to think "everyone else manages to find something that works; surely you can too?" And the whole cycle begins again.

Sage advice, please.

IanT

Post by IanT » 01 Jul 2014 14:50

yes, you are.

That aside George, I wouldn't cycle anywhere without glasses these days. I also used to suffer from airborne debris and the like getting into my eyes over the top of my glasses, one occasion on the LEJOG resulted in an insect (it may have been a bird, the size of it) having to be removed by the large sweaty digit of another group member. I vowed at that point to stop buying petrol station forecourt glasses for 99p and get a pair that actually fit!

Since then, I've never looked back (but that's a neck injury...)

I've found several brands that work really well without breaking the bank. Ryders seem to fit me well (£20), as do Endura (£35) and I have a prescription pair of Oakley's for Sunday best that also fit really well. The frames sit snugly well above the eyeline and are large enough to not irritate my face below eyeline. My extreme OCD also forces me to keep the lenses spotless but it's a price worth paying if it means being able to see clearly and avoid all kinds of stuff in your eyes.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 01 Jul 2014 15:51

Sometimes I wear contact lenses - then I use Madison d'Arcs - about £30 and they come with 3 different lenses.

... and to answer your question directly - yes, you are.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 01 Jul 2014 16:05

Another vote for yes you are

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Jul 2014 16:50

Sorry George, but yes you are. :wink:

And as Ian has already said, I wouldnt go out with glasses on either apart from the painful issue of flying objects going in them, I also tend to suffer with 'dry eye'.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Jul 2014 16:53

IanT wrote:My extreme OCD also forces me to keep the lenses spotless
Phew, so I'm not the only one then! I must show this to my missus, coz I spend ages cleaning my lenses and holding them up to the light to examine them prior to wearing them. :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 01 Jul 2014 21:39

George, allow me to join you in the freak's gallery. I just can't get on with sunglasses, mainly because I almost invariably end up being blinded by sweat. When not wearing sunglasses, rapid evaporation prevents it causing my any problems. With glasses however, there is a gradual build up of perspiration in and around my eyes until it starts to become a serious irritant. I then find myself hampered in wiping my eyes due to the presence of the wretched glasses that caused the problem in the first place.

I like 'eyewear' and on occasion (very cool/cold days) have managed okay with a pair of glasses but I generally can't be arsed with them these days, preferring, like yourself, to take my chances with the insects and particulate matter that permeate the air.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

Tim

Post by Tim » 01 Jul 2014 21:53

No freak. For most of last 5years since I started cycling I've thought they provide more hassle than benefit. Although recently when racing in rain I have worn them and wondered why I don't wear them all the time. Then next ride I think can't be bothered and they stay in drawer. Maybe in time I will become a convert but for the moment it's another Rule I'm ignoring most of the time

George

Post by George » 01 Jul 2014 22:05

Cheers, all.

The few pairs I've bought over the years haven't all been cheapo shades. Also, I have tried on other people's big-brand glasses, and haven't been encouraged to believe that they would suit me better. Unfortunately, proper experimentation is hard, even with modest-priced glasses: I'm not keen on the idea of repeatedly paying £20-£30 and then wearing the glasses once, only to discover that they're no better than all the others.

One of the things I've wondered is whether the bridge of my nose is unusually narrow, causing the glasses to slip down. Or if my head is unusually non-upright, meaning that I look out from under my eyebrows more than Mr Average. But I've never really reached a conclusion.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 01 Jul 2014 23:22

I'm the same with mine. I went through a short phase of wearing them, but stopped and don't really miss them but for the odd insect/bit of dust. Mine slide down my nose and don't seem to shelter my eyes from the wind enough for it to matter.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 02 Jul 2014 12:36

I've had to wear glasses anyway since secondary school. No real problems but I don't have wrap around sports ones at present. What I have learned is that most optometrists are very good but dispensing opticians vary a lot and fitting the frames to your face head is quite skilled.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 03 Jul 2014 07:36

Many, not all, cycling glasses have flexible nose pieces and arms which can be manipulated to fit. As with so many things in life, the more you pay, the better the quality, comfort and style.

listensqueak

Post by listensqueak » 22 Sep 2014 21:38

Having had to have a fly that vented its wrath by embedding its jaws into my eyeball surgically removed, I always wear a reasonably cheap set of wrap arounds. It's amazing what has been caught on the lenses after a ride. Half decent ones are pretty good at dispersing condensation and are usually adjustable on the nose. I think I paid about seven quid for the last pair. better than a trip to the docs and the orange dye you have to endure for a couple of hours.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 22 Sep 2014 21:50

If you use polarised lenses autumn colours look absolutely wonderful. Although I realise some of you move so fast it is just a blur.......