Missing link fitting / removal

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 02 Jul 2014 22:03

laurence_cooley wrote:I'll take the KMC removal tool please, James.
Thumbs and forefinger, or have I been doing it wrong all these years:(

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 02 Jul 2014 22:24

petemarshall wrote:Thumbs and forefinger, or have I been doing it wrong all these years:(
You must have the knack for it, because that rarely works for me.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Jul 2014 23:10

Up until recently I always managed KMCs with fingers and found a squirt of WD40 sorted any initial stiffness. However, the most recent one or two I've used seemed to be tougher to unlock so I got the tool. It works so much better that I'd never bother with fingers again.
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 02 Jul 2014 23:36

This is ironic! Just before James posted, I was struggling to fit one of those little KMC missing link buggers to a new chain before eventually giving up and deciding that I'd have to buy a tool. If only I'd given up a bit sooner, I might have beaten Laurence to it!

I can confirm what Steve says. I've been using KMC chains for quite some years and for all bar the last year or two, the missing links used to slip together easily by hand. However, they used to say on the box that you should never re-use the missing link (which I interpreted as never fit it to another chain after the first one got binned; I re-used them habitually in the same chain after cleaning). Nowadays, it specifically says on the box "Re-usable Missing Link". And since it started saying that, it's been well nigh impossible to operate them by hand. So I'm pretty sure that they are no longer the same. Probably safer, but a whole lot harder to handle.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 03 Jul 2014 08:45

I bought one originally (supplier sent me two by mistake) as sometimes removing them when the chain is really greasy can be a right faff. This tool makes it dead easy and you don't get covered in crap.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 03 Jul 2014 17:56

George wrote:This is ironic! Just before James posted, I was struggling to fit one of those little KMC missing link buggers to a new chain before eventually giving up and deciding that I'd have to buy a tool.
A different tool is required for fitting. I've never had a problem fitting, just removal recently. To fit, squeeze the plates together a bit while pulling the links apart. Once they're partially engaged, stand on a pedal with the brakes on and "click". KMC have always been reusable in my knowledge of a few years. SRAM were always non-reusable so I avoided them.
Eat cake before you're hungry

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 03 Jul 2014 18:47

The secret is keep your chain clean.
A greasy chain, the horror, oh the horror :cry:

Get a gold one, this inspires you to clean it
a because it looks nice
b because they cost so much. 8)

George

Post by George » 03 Jul 2014 21:46

CakeStop wrote:A different tool is required for fitting. I've never had a problem fitting, just removal recently. To fit, squeeze the plates together a bit while pulling the links apart. Once they're partially engaged, stand on a pedal with the brakes on and "click".
Yes, I know about the two tools, Steve ... I was thinking I'd buy both. Until about two years ago, I fitted them by hand without having to resort to standing on the pedals. And I've never had much difficulty getting them apart once I've cleaned my hands and given the chain a wipe on a rag.

However, the last two I've bought have been little buggers to assemble. Getting to half-assembled is easy, but the thing just remains jammed in the position shown in the picture (apologies for camera shake). I've never had to struggle getting them apart again, because I've never got them together in the first place. The first one of the new breed I eventually linked using an old link and the second one is still as pictured, awaiting a tool. And I've done the standing on the pedals bit.

CakeStop wrote:KMC have always been reusable in my knowledge of a few years. SRAM were always non-reusable so I avoided them.
Oh ... well maybe I'm confusing my recollection of what it used to say on KMC boxes with what it used to say on someone else's boxes. Or possibly KMC's cheaper chains had non-reusable links and the better ones had reusable links.
petemarshall wrote:The secret is keep your chain clean.
Pete, I'm not struggling to take apart a dirty chain. I'm struggling to assemble a brand new one.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 03 Jul 2014 22:51

Ok here is the tip.

If you are struggling to get the missing link to click into place make sure it is in the section of chain between the top of the cassette sprockets and the top of the chain rings apply the rear brake and stand on the pedal. If the missing link is located along the bottom of the chain that links rear mech to the bottom of the chain rings there is no force going through the chain and standing on the pedal will have no effect.

I hope that makes sense as it's a damn sight harder to put into words than fitting the thing itself.

From your picture it looks like the link is along the bottom line.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 03 Jul 2014 23:38

I would think that if this is happening there is a manufacturing fault, perhaps a batch of the links has been machined incorrectly?
I put a brand new chain on one of my bikes only a week ago (purchased from Wiggle) and another just after winter on a different bike. Both went on without a problem and certainly without anything as dramatic as standing on the pedals or any other force.
You could always use the SRAM ones, I carry a couple with me in case of a broken chain. They work fine, but as been said already are not reusable. They are thinner and go on really easy, so good for emergencies but usually bend when you take them off so no good for cleaning. Ebay I think a couple of quid for three last time I brought any.

George

Post by George » 04 Jul 2014 07:39

Nick, thanks for the tip, but I only positioned the link there for the photo. Most of my efforts were concentrated on trying to close it by hand, with no stress on the chain at all. I felt that if I needed to force it closed by pedalling, something had to be wrong, since in the past I've had no trouble closing them between finger and thumb. I was also concerned that I'd never get it open again. Maybe I should just go back to square one and make a more serious effort to pedal it shut.