Compression Wear - Does it work?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Compression Wear - Does it work?

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Jul 2014 13:21

For some time now, I have been using both traditional and modern techniques to reduce lactic acid after a hard ride and to improve recovery. Methods used have included one or several of the following:

- 2XU compression tights
- ice cold water submersion
- stretching
- post recovery ride

The first of these four has been the most controversial amongst some commentators. Personally, I believe that compression garments work but I wanted to check that it was not merely a placebo.

A quick scan of published scientific papers indicate that compression garments do work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABSTRACT

de Glanville, KM & Hamlin, MJ (2012) 'POSITIVE EFFECT OF LOWER BODY COMPRESSION GARMENTS ON SUBSEQUENT 40-KM CYCLING TIME TRIAL PERFORMANCE' JOURNAL OF STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING RESEARCH Volume: 26 Issue: 2 Pages: 480-486

Positive effect of lower body compression garments on subsequent 40-km cycling time trial performance. J Strength Cond Res 26(2): 480-486, 2012-This study aimed to investigate the effect of wearing graduated compression garments during recovery on subsequent 40-km time trial performance. In a randomized single-blind crossover experiment, 14 trained multisport male athletes (mean +/- SD: age 33.8 +/- 6.8 years, 40-km time 66:11 +/- 2:10 minutes:seconds) were given a graduated full-leg-length compressive garment (76% Meryl Elastane, 24% Lycra) or a similar-looking noncompressive placebo garment (92% Polyester, 8% Spandex) to wear continuously for 24 hours after performing an initial 40-km time trial in their normal cycling attire. After the 24-hour recovery period, the compression (or placebo) garments were removed, and a second 40-km time trial was then completed to gauge the effect of each garment on subsequent performance. One week later, the groups were reversed and testing procedures repeated. The participant's hydration status, nutritional intake, and training were similar before each set of trials. Performance time in the second time trial was substantially improved with compression compared with placebo garments (1.2 +/- 0.4%, mean +/- 90% confidence interval). This improvement resulted in a substantially higher average power output after wearing the compression garment compared with that after wearing the placebo garment (3.3 +/- 1.1%). Differences in oxygen cost and rating of perceived exertion between groups were trivial or unclear. The wearing of graduated compressive garments during recovery is likely to be worthwhile and unlikely to be harmful for well-trained endurance athletes.

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Jul 2014 14:15

Interesting stuff.

Have you looked for evidence that hasn't shown it to work?

Just I was of the belief there was as much evidence for it as against it in terms of compression garments. I could well be wrong and haven't studied it.

I enjoy overall being extremely dubious of sport science and believe it's 99.999% about the training and genes; average speeds in cycling have been fairly stable for few decades I believe and in 1980 there were several British men who could run sub 2hr10 marathons now there are barely any.

It's very hard to pull apart evidence and marketing.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Jul 2014 14:55

Tim wrote:Interesting stuff.

Just I was of the belief there was as much evidence for it as against it in terms of compression garments. I could well be wrong and haven't studied it.
Good question. The search was made using Web of Science for papers published in the last five years. It was not an exhaustive search but had I spotted counter-findings, they would have provided an interesting read.

Of course, the de Glanville paper is just one finding. So that has to be born in mind when drawing conclusions.

EDIT

An article in SPORTS MEDICINE Vol 10, 2011 by MacRae does conclude differently:

.... Ratings of post-exercise muscle soreness are commonly more favourable when CGs are worn, although this is not always so. In general, the effects of CGs on indicators of recovery performance remain inconclusive. More work is needed to form a consensus or mechanistically-insightful interpretation of any demonstrated effects of CGs during exercise, recovery or - perhaps most importantly - fitness development. Limited practical recommendations for athletes can be drawn from the literature at present, although this review may help focus future research towards a position where such recommendations can be made.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 16 Jul 2014 19:59

Tim I am surprised at your cynicism about the effectiveness of sports science, I would have thought the work of Ferrari in the 90's whist distinctly unethical and eventually illegal proved very effective. The understanding of the physiology of blood and the use of rEPO increased average speeds in pro cycling by an absolutely massive amount.
The attention now being paid to more ethical products of sports science such as areo dynamics, diet and rest also seems to be showing it's value.
Mind you compression socks do look silly on cyclists.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Jul 2014 20:17

When one wears this stuff can one actually feel the compression or is it too subtle for that? I was wondering how a similar looking but non-compressive placebo garment fools the victim into thinking they're wearing a compression garment.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Jul 2014 20:37

I just like being cynical!

I suppose doing a sport science degree and then working in the fitness and health industry has made me want to question every sport product, fitness fad and dietary recommendation.

I just look at any one study on 14 people and think there could well be another study of 14 people that found no difference so they didn't bother publishing it! I would definitely want to know who funded the research too.

I would class illegal drugs and blood manipulation as a different field, one that is definitely effective, which is partly why they are illegal.

I also though totally believe that just because there is no hard evidence a practice could still be effective, sports massage being one example.

Stretching as well, as mentioned, is another grey area with current thinking saying there's little evidence. Yet if you read the Obree Way (Graeme Obrees) training manual he has a whole chapter on it and gives a very good and reasoned argument for it.

Most of team sky and british cycling's success I believe has been down to having the best and most organised talent identification, coaching and training over a long period.

Anyway gotta go, got an ice bath to jump into!

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 18 Jul 2014 07:17

I think some of the fads are very funny and arise from the cover explanations given for blood doping and EPO.

Famous tennis player who fades in long tournaments suddenly improves and starts winning. It's my gluten free diet he says and loads start on gluten free diets. Is a good example.

And I think the use of steroids (legally admistered sadly) may also be one of the marginal gains responsible for Sky's success.