front mech chain rub...gggrrrrr

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

andrew clayton

front mech chain rub...gggrrrrr

Post by andrew clayton » 09 Aug 2014 16:39

One of my bikes has developed chain rub. I can't sort it out!!!
It started after a recent change of wheelset which involved a move to 11sp set which required a slightly thicker spacer on the cassette (surely that alone can't be the cause)
Anyhow...when in the 53 ring and in anything from 16t down to 11t sprockets I'm faced with this bleedin rattle!
Tried adjusting the outer limit screw, to no avail.... Does anyone have any suggestions, the front mech is not something i enjoy trying to fine tune...
thanks

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 09 Aug 2014 17:08

I might be utterly wrong but don't you need an 11 speed mech on the front?

Which bike is this on. Not a stupid campag response either but might make a difference. If it's the campag one are they chorus or athena shifters?

petemarshall

Re: front mech chain rub...gggrrrrr

Post by petemarshall » 09 Aug 2014 18:18

andrew clayton wrote: It started after a recent change of wheelset which involved a move to 11sp set which required a slightly thicker spacer on the cassette (surely that alone can't be the cause)
it is.
Try moving the mech to get it back in line with the chain line which will have changed.

I have used a 11 speed hub with spacers for a 9 speed cassette and it can be made to work with the front mech using the trim.

Unfortunately I would guess your sti levers don't have any trim (if they are 10 speed)adjustment? You may need a 11 speed front if you cannot get the changer to line up accurately. The move to 11 speed was created with changes that were specifically designed so that older stuff no longer works correctly, it's called built in obsolescence and a fact of life these days.