Rollers

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

carl

Rollers

Post by carl » 10 Aug 2014 22:15

Can someone advise me on rollers please, I have never used any and am thinkin about getting some for training on. Easy to use?? Also is there s particular type I should get.
Pain is temporary!

Tim

Post by Tim » 10 Aug 2014 22:26

I have some planet x ones you can borrow for a bit if you want. Aluminium drums that are really smooth. Had them since Feb but hardly used, hopefully will use more in winter and then when confident on them pre races to warm up on. You can't get super high resistance for intervals but plenty enough I think for steady work or longer not flat out intervals especially if you run slightly lower psi. Yes easy enough to use once you've got going/had a couple of goes, you just unfold and put bike on (use in a door way, at first at least!).

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 11 Aug 2014 18:03

They are strange to get used to at first but once you get the hang of them ey are quite enjoyable. As Tim says if your looking for more sprinting intervals then a turbo is probably better although for improved core stability and bike handling skills, rollers are ideal. Rollers also good for warming up and cooling down.

I have both but weirdly enjoy indoor training

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 05 Sep 2014 09:11

I do most of my winter indoor training on rollers and have a set of ELITE Arion Mag rollers so I can increase the resistance to get up to threshold. Once you've done a few hours they're dead easy to get used to, however you WILL fall off at least once, but don't give up.
One tip,get a good fan and make sure you have a head cover (bandana or cap) as you won't be able to towel off like the turbo, your balance won't allow it initially. Later on you can manage it ok.
I ride with a chair along side (to get on and off), so I hang the towel off it. Plenty if vids on youtube to get you started on technique, but the MOST important thing is to relax, if you tense up....you will fall off.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 05 Sep 2014 13:41

jdtate101 wrote:I do most of my winter indoor training on rollers and have a set of ELITE Arion Mag rollers so I can increase the resistance to get up to threshold. Once you've done a few hours they're dead easy to get used to, however you WILL fall off at least once, but don't give up.
One tip,get a good fan and make sure you have a head cover (bandana or cap) as you won't be able to towel off like the turbo, your balance won't allow it initially. Later on you can manage it ok.
I ride with a chair along side (to get on and off), so I hang the towel off it. Plenty if vids on youtube to get you started on technique, but the MOST important thing is to relax, if you tense up....you will fall off.
And people laugh at me when I say I have turbo caps!

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 20 Sep 2014 21:20

Yeah, my old and most worn are turbo/rollers clothing....