Clearance Between Rim and Brake Blocks

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Clearance Between Rim and Brake Blocks

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Oct 2014 09:56

Q1. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom on the depth of clearance between the rim and brake block?

The odd occasion a shop has fiddled with my bike, it is always returned with a greater clearance that I would prefer. I always keep mine to the minimum whilst ensuring that no rub occurs.

Q2. Incidentally, why do many riders knowingly adjust their brake quick release levers open? Surely they are meant to be always closed.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 16 Oct 2014 11:45

Brake clearance can vary on my bikes according to type of brake, conditions and personal preference.
In dry conditions I usually run with the front set close, I slacken this allittle in the wet. I prefer the rear to have larger clearance all the time.
The only time I might run with the brakes open is if I had lost spokes and the wheel was rubbing.
My Dura Ace brakes can be set slacker than my 105 or Ultegra because they have a better ratio of travel and feel.

With cantis I tend to set them as close as possible as they are more"on off" switches .
If I was getting my bike worked on by a decent mechanic I would expect them to ask how I wanted them set up, as there is no right or wrong rather personal preference.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 18 Oct 2014 16:59

Phil I've also often wondered about question 2 and never liked to ask! I'd assumed that perhaps the idea was to close the quick release as the pads wear down. If you see it on my bikes it means I've forgotten to close q r so please tell me.

dweben

Post by dweben » 18 Oct 2014 17:45

Always run mine as tight as possible... and usually prefer the lever about half way to allow for adjustment but enough release to let the wheel out when I need it.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Oct 2014 08:08

dweben wrote:Always run mine as tight as possible... and usually prefer the lever about half way to allow for adjustment but enough release to let the wheel out when I need it.
+1
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Oct 2014 14:51

My brake calipers have an adjustment barrel. Start with it screwed nearly all the way on and gradually wind it out as the pads wear or cable stretches. I've always assumed people with slackened off levers can't be bothered to true their wheels.
Eat cake before you're hungry

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 19 Oct 2014 16:08

I think the most important factor is the position of the lever at the brake's biting point......if the brake lever is too tight or too slack your fingers will not be able to deliver maximum power.

A rider with large hands will probably want less brake lever travel then someone with smaller fingers.

Don't blame the LBS if they don't know exactly how you like the brakes to be adjusted it is all about preference of the rider.