Tyre Pressures

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

AndHuck

Tyre Pressures

Post by AndHuck » 21 Nov 2014 20:05

Usually by November my bike is all tucked away for the winter ready to come back out in the summer but this year I don't want to lose any fitness so I'm trying to brave it through the winter.

However, I'm having real trouble with my tyres. I'm getting a **flat** nearly every ride. Just slow ones that you don't notice until you grab your bike the next time! Is this just winter riding?!!

I went from 23's to 25's (Continential 4 Season) thinking that was the problem, but still persists so now I'm thinking tyre pressures. I weigh about 10st and running them at 110? How does this compare to everyone else? The bike stays in the conservatory and it gets quite cold in there overnight if that makes a difference?

Any help would be great before I leave the bike out with the recycling!!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Nov 2014 20:10

You may wish to check for the following:

- the rim tape is bedded in properly;
- there are no sharp unwanted edges of metal facing into the inner tube from the wheel;

I use Conti 4000s throughout the year, with few problems.

AlanW

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by AlanW » 21 Nov 2014 20:28

AndHuck wrote:I weigh about 10st and running them at 110? How does this compare to everyone else?
Firstly I dont believe that the pressure will have anything to do with your problem, unless you are using Latex tubes? But for 25mm tyres that is far to much pressure anyway, you only need 90psi absolute maximum.

But as Phil has already suggested, check the rim tape? If its the plastic type, this tends to age harden and go brittle then tiny cracks will appear. These tiny crack then pinch your tube, so if in any doubt at all, then bin it and then fit Velox cloth tape instead, its much better and will never fail like plastic tape will.

Do you mount your tyres with the tyre logo on the sidewall adjacent to the valve hole on the rim? It should then be easy to identify if the cause of your problem is a sharp foreign body protruding into your tyre?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Nov 2014 20:38

Need to figure out what's causing the flat (it's not the tyre pressure unless the rim tape can't cope with 110PSI). Could be something in the tyre that is only exposed when the pressure's high or something on the rim. When deflated look for little holts or cuts and squeeze the tyre to open up the hold/cut to see if anything's inside. Have a gentle prod with the tip of a sharp penknife. Turn the tyre inside out and do the same on the inside from the outside if you see what I mean.

I run 25mm at 90PSI on the front and 100PSI on the rear.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 21 Nov 2014 20:54

Not tyre pressures - I run 23mm at 90 front 105 rear. After each ride inspect your tyres very, very carefully. You can often find tiny pieces of sharp grit embedded which could eventally work through and cause a flat.

AndHuck

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by AndHuck » 21 Nov 2014 21:23

AlanW wrote: Do you mount your tyres with the tyre logo on the sidewall adjacent to the valve hole on the rim? It should then be easy to identify if the cause of your problem is a sharp foreign body protruding into your tyre?
Great tip!

Might try some new tape, and running the pressure a little lower.

Tim

Post by Tim » 21 Nov 2014 22:29

Def not winter riding. I also run conti 4000s year round with few **flat**s and they are nearly always pot hole hits or glass.
I'm only doing 40-60 mainly commuting miles per week though