Wheel upgrade

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Robert Wade

Wheel upgrade

Post by Robert Wade » 26 Mar 2015 14:52

Hi, anybody got any advice on possible choices for a wheel upgrade?

Current stock wheels are Giant PSL1's alloy clinchers with a claimed weight of 1775g. During past couple of years have been pretty reliable but had a few issues last year so would like a 2nd set of wheels.

Don't think I've got the budget for quality carbon wheels so looking for some lighter weight alloy clinchers compatible with 10 and 11 speed Shimano. I'm about 70kg and the wheels will be used for general all round riding and club runs, wouldn't mind getting up hills a bit quicker/easier! Won't be used over winter months. My technical skills are zero so need to be something pretty reliable.

Haven't checked out the local bike shops yet but online some possibles in the £500-700ish budget are:

Mavic Ksyrium Elite - (claimed weight 1520g) - £475ish most places

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 (claimed weight 1395g) - £600 Wiggle

Fulcrum Racing Zero - (claimed weight 1430g) - £720 Dark Label ones at Merlin

Anyone used any of these or any other recommendations?

Thanks, Rob.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 26 Mar 2015 19:32

Rob,

I've got a current set of Ksyrium SLR's which are excellent and very smooth. I've also used the last generation of C24 (10s only) which were also amazing. If weight reduction is your thing then the kysriums are very good for the cost. Pretty bomb proof as far as I can see, and lots of people swear by them.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Mar 2015 20:08

jdtate101 wrote:Rob,

I've got a current set of Ksyrium SLR's which are excellent and very smooth. I've also used the last generation of C24 (10s only) which were also amazing. If weight reduction is your thing then the kysriums are very good for the cost. Pretty bomb proof as far as I can see, and lots of people swear by them.
+1

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 26 Mar 2015 20:28

To be honest for the money you would be hard pressed to beat a pair of Shimano RS81 wheels - HERE May be cheaper if you shop around the net?

I have had a pair of the earlier RS80s for a number of years and they are bombproof as are most Shimano wheels. I also have a pair of Kysrium SLs and I would match them equally in terms of performance and the RS81s are half the price! Although to be honest the RS81 dont look as bling as the Mavic wheels, so it all depends on what price you put on bling really I guess?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Tim

Post by Tim » 26 Mar 2015 21:33

With that budget and if not planning to race shouldn't he consider hand-built?

Email same question to Ben@ Venture in Stirchley and Chris Hudson and see what they can do?

I got mavic open pros with hope hubs for £400ish a few years back from Ben, like buying a new bike compared to the stock Aksiums. I like you am not technical so any issues he can sort. E. G. I damaged rear rim on a pothole and he rebuilt for c£75

I'd also discuss with LBS, ask Greg or Nic at Red Kite what they can offer for that money, again any issues and they can sort under warranty or provide insurance quotes etc

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 27 Mar 2015 06:09

Dura ace, RS81's or Ultegras depending on how much you wanna spend. The more up the price bracket you spend the lighter u get.

I use the dura ace c24's for regular riding, have a set of rs81 c35's for racing and ultegras for winter use. More than happy with all 3, the Rs81's do strike me for the best value for money as Alan said.

Patch

Post by Patch » 27 Mar 2015 08:07

Any Shimano wheel will do what it says on the box. I've had a pair of C 24 s for a while nice and light good for climbing not so fast on the flat. Ksyriums obviously tried and tested. Easton EA90s are worth a look. At Bache we do Shimano or Fulcrum or Hope. I'm about to start using Fulcrum 1s which are like 0s without the carbon hub. Im an expert now at rebuilding Fulcrum hubs if that helps. Done quite a few lately.
I can build you some hope hubs onto Mavic or something. Think about £400 for this. I've just built some H Plus Sons Archetypes onto Hope for my Condor look great and ride nice if a bit heavy and not aero by factory wheel standards.
I don't know its a bit bewildering Isn't it a lot comes down to look in the end as they.all work ok.
I wouldn't recommend American Classic the hubs are a nightmare to rebuild well over complicated. Dt Swiss hubs are a bit weird inside too.
Patch

listensqueak

Post by listensqueak » 27 Mar 2015 11:38

I've used both Ksyrium Elite and Equip on the cross bike. Equip is very robust and cheaper. They have stood up to lots of off road use and are still true. Barely noticeable weight penalty over the more expensive Elites, they both climb well.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 27 Mar 2015 11:46

I cannot see when you arn't racing and have that sort of cash you don't get some decent wheels built. Get some wider rims whilst you are at it. Archetypes to a choice of hubs start at less than £300 from the Cycle Clinic. They will weigh more but unless you are planning on attacking the bunch on a 25 % climb the weight gain will be more than offset by overall comfort and cornering ability.

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 28 Mar 2015 13:26

I have switched to RS81 c24&c35 on most of my bikes now... They are fantastic wheels. Light, durable, remain true and won't set you back a fortune. There is a minor and negligible weight penalty over the more expensive dura ace version but to be honest you are paying for prestige pricing and bling value. Plus the DA wheels won't last as long as the rim walls have been machined to make the lighter and therefore they are thinner. Ultegra wheels...now... I live these wheels, absolutely superb but the rims are so tight, being tubeless ready I assume, that getting a tyre on and off is a massive challenge. I sadly moved away from them for this reason through fear of getting a flat on a ride and being scuppered. Another highly recommended option are the magic ksyrium elites. Very popular, light and durable. All the wheels I've suggested come in around £450-500

deero83

Post by deero83 » 28 Mar 2015 16:43

I got some Swissside "Gotthard" wheels for my best bike. Claimed weight is around 1400g. Think they are about £330 on their website. Very good wheels I think for the money.

keith

Post by keith » 28 Mar 2015 18:44

All great wheels my only comment is much as I loved my mavic elites the rims are a bit soft if you are using them in all weathers as compared with the Shimano alloy

Robert Wade

Post by Robert Wade » 29 Mar 2015 00:38

Thanks everyone for your experience and opinions, very useful. Narrowed choice down to the Ksyrium Elite (£380 at Rose, inc 25mm tyres but mixed reviews on the tyres) or Shimano RS81 c24 (£308 at Rose). Both seem to be recommended so will probably be chosen by the scientific method of which I prefer the look of!

Nice that the recommendations were for some of the lower cost wheels as it leaves a bit of cash over to save up for some hand-built disc wheels for my Croix De Fer. Chris, I must have spoken to you at Bache about the hand-builts after having a few spoke failures, didn't realise it was you until I noticed a Strava ride leaving from the shop.

Cheers, Rob.

Patch

Post by Patch » 29 Mar 2015 14:23

I didn't realise it was you either lol.
Patch