finding old rides on Strava

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

George

finding old rides on Strava

Post by George » 27 Apr 2015 10:31

Sometimes, when I'm planning to go somewhere, I would like to check what route I took last time (possibly in the context of a ride to a different destination). However, I may only have a vague recollection of when the last time was, or whether I'm actually thinking of the last time or the time before that. So I can't go straight back to it on Strava in my Training Calendar. And nine times out of ten, the ride I'm interested in won't have been on a route that I planned beforehand and saved in My Routes. So I'd like to be able to search my activities. But there's no filtering tool on the Activity Search, so a search based on a place name just throws up a zillion rides by other people. And my own ride won't even be in the results list unless I happened to name it with something linked to the place I now want to revisit.

The only workaround I've come up with so far is to go to Segment Search, pan and zoom the map view to show the place I'm interested in, look at a segment on the relevant route and go to my own results for that segment, which should include the ride I'm looking for. However, this is a bit long-winded and hit-and-miss.

Am I missing something?
Can you search more effectively if you're a Premium member?
Is there any desktop software that would allow me to search my locally saved activity files? (Not sure how that might work, actually, since they're all just coordinates, not names.)
Anyone got any other ideas?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 27 Apr 2015 10:37

If you go to Training>My activities, you can search that list and it will only return results from your own past rides. However, it's still not perfect as I find the search tool quite often fails to find a ride even if the search term is in the ride title.

George

Post by George » 27 Apr 2015 11:21

Thanks, Laurence.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 27 Apr 2015 11:56

I have 6 recent activities in Strava with 'Mallorca' in the title. The search only found 3 of them.

On the planning side, RWGPS has a filter which makes it easy to find old rides.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 27 Apr 2015 12:13

Apparently they're working on improving the search function: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/6478 ... ILL-broken.

John

Post by John » 28 Apr 2015 13:23

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

Try this. It will map every ride you have ever done one by one. But if you know where you went roughly it should work.