Strava phone app

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Tim

Strava phone app

Post by Tim » 16 Nov 2015 18:36

Got a new phone in Feb, Sony Xperia Z3 compact, and strava on it was so good in terms of battery life and one click uploading I stopped using my garmin edge 500 altogether.
But in September it stopped working in that I hit go and it doesn't pick up movement / gps. Anyone any ideas what the issue is?

I open map and it shows current location correctly and have tried Google maps and same but seems gps isn't working to track movement. I've downloaded a GPS app and reset my phones GPS without success and so far strava support's advice hasn't solved it. Any ideas before I am compelled to buy a garmin 510 or 1000? :D

Thanks
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Nov 2015 22:20

Forget about getting the app to work and just buy the new 520.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Nov 2015 09:01

Moved to separate thread...
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 17 Nov 2015 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

George

Post by George » 17 Nov 2015 09:34

Did the issue perhaps follow some other significant event, e.g. an OS update?

Have you been able check whether other GPS-based apps still work normally? What happens, for example, if you just walk down the road with Gmpas open, or if you use another 'sports tracker' app?

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Nov 2015 22:36

Yes the 520 would be the ideal solution if you wanna get me one for Christmas Alan? Strava have said seems issue is lollipop! George spot on. Which the link they sent me seems to support

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M ... 01/page/13

Will contact Sony as last time I did via webchat about something their customer service was excellent
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 18 Nov 2015 07:46

Yes Tim, smartphones are the way to go. You will see plenty of past comments by me wondering why almost every rider these days is carrying a computer in their back pocket that records, navigates, AND makes telephone calls and takes photos, yet they still feel the need to duplicate with a dedicated unit on their handlebar.
Strava + Sony + Android Lollip will get sorted in time. But really, Strava is rubbish apart from its segment ANALYSIS. 101 apps will record your ride and a whole lot more with seamless upload to Strava. My personal favourites are Run.gps for everything and OSMAnd+ when touring.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Nov 2015 11:54

slogfester wrote:You will see plenty of past comments by me wondering why almost every rider these days is carrying a computer in their back pocket ....
And there is the problem......"carrying a computer in their back pocket". Personally I don't see (see what I did there?) the point in carrying it where you cannot see it?

I can however sort of understand Tims point that it doesn't provide a distraction when racing. BUT, on the flip side to that argument, how do monitor your effort or recovery?

Plus, if you are training and you wish to work in a specific area either power or HR, where better to put the device than on your bars right in front of you?

Furthermore, in the event of a tumble I would rather risk damaging (hardly unlikely anyway to be honest) a couple of hundred pound GPS unit than a £300/£400 or even £500 Smartphone
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Tim

Post by Tim » 18 Nov 2015 12:59

On feel and instinct Alan!
:D

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 18 Nov 2015 13:37

Tim wrote:On feel and instinct Alan!
:D
Alternatively Tim I would suggest you can have a very accurate objective judgement of your performance by checking how high up you are here from January onwards. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ranki ... perpage=40

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Nov 2015 16:15

slogfester wrote:.... almost every rider these days is carrying a computer in their back pocket that records, navigates, AND makes telephone calls and takes photos....
Not so, the thing in my back pocket would hopefully make a phone call if I switched it on and I think it might take a photo of sorts. I'd rather have something on my stem which won't bother me with phone calls and messages when I'm riding my bike.
Eat cake before you're hungry

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 19 Nov 2015 02:33

OK, I'll bite.... once.

Modern Android smartphones with more power than any of us need, can now be had for 100 smackers, e.g. Moto G:

http://www.expansys.com/motorola-moto-g ... ck-275412/

101 different handlebar mounts and cradles/cases available. Topeak do some really nice ones. I have a case that makes my Smartphone virtually unbreakable and submersible to 10 metres. (I think the Moto Gs are shock and waterproof out the box)

Don't want to receive calls/txts while you're riding? Just turn off receiving and/or divert. Don't want to look down at the screen to navigate? Just have voice turn-by-turn on.

etc etc.

NOTE, I have not mentioned iFings. Expensive, fragile and crap battery life, renders them pretty useless for bicycle computer substitute.

Anyway, each to their VHS own ;)
Belt up, we're going for a ride