Alternative to Garmin?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

WorcsPhil

Alternative to Garmin?

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Nov 2015 11:29

Reading Tim's post about possible purchases of a new Garmin, there's been a bit of 'nerd-murmur' about a new rival to Garmin GPS units, namely the Wahoo Elemnt, see, link below:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ing-192346

The reviews seem positive, it is scheduled to be released this month and seems more connected than Garmins at a (slightly) lower price. My Garmin simply doesn't work in wet weather so I wrap it in polythene when raining, so am looking for something myself next year

Does anybody have any other insight as to whether this might be a viable option? Are other Wahoo products reliable?

AlanW

Re: Alternative to Garmin?

Post by AlanW » 17 Nov 2015 12:55

WorcsPhil wrote: My Garmin simply doesn't work in wet weather so I wrap it in polythene when raining, so am looking for something myself next year
To be honest Phil I am amazed that you have experienced any water ingress problems with your Garmin to the point that it is necessary to wrap it in polythene. The only issue I have had with mine is water blocking the tiny hole for the barometric pressure. :x

I have had a fair amount of Garmin units over the years using them on cycles and also motorbikes and (touch wood) never experienced any problems at all with any of them. Plus Garmin customer service has also responded well to any minor issues that I have ever raised.

So my point being, don't let this one rouge unit put you off from buying another Garmin.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Nov 2015 13:36

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Nov 2015 15:22

I should point out why (until September) I was so happy with using my smartphone. Firstly I never used for mapping, secondly I realised I never looked at my garmin during a ride or race really and thought I'd see if I did better removing the distraction from bars and just using my phone in back pocket. Result, probably coincidentally, was my best results in races. So that's why I'm keen to get strava on my phone working again. If you don't use maps I'd say use a decent phone, mine managed 80mile alpine 8 hour ride only using 60% of battery.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667