Bike storage....

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Hels147

Bike storage....

Post by Hels147 » 18 Jan 2016 19:49

I need to sort out how I store my bikes so I can actually use my dining room!

It looks like I have two options. Either put two brackets in the wall which go under the top tube of the bike, or hang the bikes from the front wheel.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on these 2 options? (The rest of the room will be arrange to suit!)

And no, I can't hang them from the ceiling! :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 18 Jan 2016 20:12

Hang one from the front wheel, the other from the back wheel. That way they will take up less room as the handlebars won't clash.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Jan 2016 21:42

I've heard good things about this by Topeak. It just needs to be positioned under a joist (which might be a problem if that's why you can't hang them from the ceiling).

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Jan 2016 22:57

Position that in the middle of the room and you have a perfect subject for dinner conversation.

John D

Post by John D » 19 Jan 2016 07:03

Sell your drum kit!!!

deero83

Post by deero83 » 19 Jan 2016 09:36

These look like a good minimalist storage solution Helen http://www.getclug.com/

and you can get them in different sizes for those funny bikes you ride off-road ;)

George

Post by George » 19 Jan 2016 10:15

I do as James describes. It is the most space-efficient solution. You can buy ceiling hooks for next to nothing, but they do mean holes in your ceiling, and you need to have joists in the right place (I wouldn't trust plasterboard to hold the hooks).

Those things that Andy links to (which I hadn't seen before) are certainly very neat and would allow you to achieve the same arrangement as the ceiling hooks (vertical, alternate top and tail) in a more living-room-friendly fashion or in a situation where you couldn't use the ceiling. Possible drawback: reduced interchangeability.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 19 Jan 2016 22:12

Thanks all.

The ceiling has been over boarded and finding the joists is going to be really difficult. Also, I'm uncertain how stable the ceiling is tbh...!

Is there any risk of damaging the wheels if the bikes are hung from them?
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Carl_Williams

Post by Carl_Williams » 19 Jan 2016 23:30

I'm at the same point in trying to work out the best solution but for a narrow corridor. I've a solid brick wall to mount brackets (and lock hasps to) and have found this so far:
http://www.bikemation.com/gadgets/cycle ... lder-rack/
The Tacx version looks good as you can remove the brackets when there aren't bikes there. Be wary of the Belleson version though; I bought some from eBay that were a pile of tosh! Depending on budget the Cycloc ones look nice.
Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie, why lie when you can sleep. Brian Robinson

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Jan 2016 06:31

Hels147 wrote:
Is there any risk of damaging the wheels if the bikes are hung from them?
No risk what so ever, I've done it for years and had no issues. A couple of points to be bear in mind though.

1) lts a touch arkward hanging a bike from the rear wheel, in terms of holding the whole bike steady while you lift.

2) Try to avoid the decal on the rim with the hook when the bike. Not so bad in the winter but when it gets warmer the decal can start to slip
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"