Chamois Cream and Lycra

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Chamois Cream and Lycra

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 May 2016 14:36

WARNING: Do not lubricate your pad with cream.

Yet again I have suffered a pair of shorts instantaneously turning see through - this time a pair of Giordana Beacon RCC shorts. I have concluded that it caused by the cream rotting the material, possibly in combination with a long day in the saddle and sweat.

The day before riding an audax I had liberally applied the pad in cream to ensure that it was sufficiently absorbed. The day after the shorts were a write-off with the Lycra having turned translucent.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 09 May 2016 17:38

Which brand of cream?

I don't use it often but if I do I apply it to myself not my shorts. I that pervy wrongness?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 May 2016 18:52

Steve, it was produced by Chapeau

AlanW

Re: Chamois Cream and Lycra

Post by AlanW » 09 May 2016 18:54

Philip Whiteman wrote:WARNING: Do not lubricate your pad with cream.
That's quite a sweeping statement with no factual supporting evidence. I like many others use chamois cream and don't experience any such problems.

I seem to recall you telling everyone not to use quick links once upon a time too?

And I'm sure there was something else that you claimed to be useless as well but I can't recall what it was now?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Re: Chamois Cream and Lycra

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 May 2016 19:01

AlanW wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:WARNING: Do not lubricate your pad with cream.
That's quite a sweeping statement with no factual supporting evidence. I like many others use chamois cream and don't experience any such problems.

I seem to recall you telling everyone not to use quick links once upon a time too?

And I'm sure there was something else that you claimed to be useless as well but I can't recall what it was now?
Blimey, did you get out the wrong side of the bed this morning, Mr Grumpy?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 May 2016 19:20

:oops: :oops:

:mrgreen:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 09 May 2016 19:25

Vanishing cream?

IanT

Post by IanT » 09 May 2016 20:54

Phil

I sympathise with this state of affairs, though to be fair it's even more of an issue for the unfortunate souls who happen to be riding behind you once the mysterious lycra eating chamois cream has done it's worst.

As for helpful advice, I can only offer the following:

Are you sure you're not applying assembly grease by accident if the tubs are on the same shelf at home? Nearly happened to me once but I realised my mistake just in time.

How vigorously are you applying the cream, maybe it's all in the wrist action?

Or maybe your body has an unusual reaction to the cream and creates a hitherto undocumented compound? I think you should submit yourself to medical testing just to be sure...