Dent in aluminium frame

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

NeilL

Dent in aluminium frame

Post by NeilL » 21 Nov 2016 16:29

Hi

I have small dent in a Aluminium frame, its shallow and about 1cm, but it likely was caused by a hammer when someone smashed the lock off.

Does anybody have any experience in this area, I have read that Aluminium is prone to failure due to its stiffness. I would like to keep riding this but obviously not if there is any major risk.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 23 Nov 2016 12:49

Neil,
I spoke to an engineering lecturer at work about this, he reckoned it would depend on where the dent is, but a small dent shouldn't be a problem unless and until a crack starts to form. The advice was to keep an eye on it. Aluminium is less elastic than steel so less able to tolerate bending, but a triangular bike frame will spread the stresses so it is unlikely to just fold up and collapse. A step-through frame will be less forgiving as it is structurally weaker.
Graham

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 23 Nov 2016 17:05

Hi Graham

This backs up the advice I have been given, although none of it is by an engineering lecturer! The dent is on a triangular tapering top tube.

I have an insurance claim on-going for this bike as it was stolen and then recovered (dent is post theft)

Depending on the outcome I think I will carry on riding on it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks this is really helpful.