Carbon Frame

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Macco

Carbon Frame

Post by Macco » 06 Mar 2017 20:36

Please can anyone out there put my mind at ease. I've got a Cannondale Synapse carbon bike that I bought new 18 months ago. I only use it in the Summer but I did use it for yesterdays Mad March Hare sportive. On cleaning it today I've noticed a crack about an inch long & about an inch away from the bottom bracket on the down tube. what should I do?

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 06 Mar 2017 21:25

Firstly...don't ride it.

It could just be a crack in the paint lacquer, but equally it could be in the carbon. Take it back to the shop where you bought it, it should still be covered under some form of warranty being only 18months old. The below seems to suggest a 3 yrs cover:

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20Br ... rrantyInfo

So take it back and get cannondale to replace the frame.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Mar 2017 09:37

Has it got a crash history?

I'll second James - "don't ride it"

Macco

Carbon Frames

Post by Macco » 07 Mar 2017 22:12

Hi all, took the bike back to where I bought it, the guy there told me the lacquer had cracked & where I'd washed it, some of the muck had lodged into the cracked lacquer, making it look like a crack. He cleaned the offending area with white spirit & the "crack" disappeared. He also told me that you know if you've got a damaged frame as it makes a horrible noise & twists out of shape. Apparently Cannondale frames carry a ten year warranty, as I was told last night on this site. Crisis averted, I'll sleep easier tonight!! Thanks for your concern. Mark.