Disc brake wheels for commuting?!

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Hels147

Disc brake wheels for commuting?!

Post by Hels147 » 15 Aug 2017 20:54

Weeeeeee! Just discovered that we have cycle to work again and can use it for componants. <@>

So, in addition to the new panniers, racks, track saddle, pedals etc I'm going to get, I also need to replace the wheels on my winter bike due to the rear one having a slight buckle due to a slight off I may or may not have had on a certain audax in Feb! :oops: :D

Does anyone have any thoughts on road wheels for disc brakes? Dont want to spend too much coz is my winter/commuter bike (and Ive got £1000 limit on the cycle scheme). I've been advised to steer away from shimano coz you can't maintain them? Was looking at mavics?

Would welcome opinions.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

laurence_cooley

Re: Disc brake wheels for commuting?!

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 Aug 2017 21:32

Not to confuse matters, but I've recently given up on Mavic due to having a problem with a Ksyrium hub that can't be fixed, when the rims are barely even worn (they're not disc-brake wheels), and have switched to Shimano. :lol:

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 15 Aug 2017 22:52

laurence_cooley wrote:
15 Aug 2017 21:32
Not to confuse matters, but I've recently given up on Mavic due to having a problem with a Ksyrium hub that can't be fixed, when the rims are barely even worn (they're not disc-brake wheels), and have switched to Shimano. :lol:

Oh pooh! :lol:

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Aug 2017 08:36

They had been lying around unused for a while, so it's possible that it's an issue that they've now fixed in current models. Most people don't seem to have the same problem with Mavics - it's just annoying to pay good money for wheels that fail and can't be fixed, when they should have lots of life left in them.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Aug 2017 11:32

Hels147 wrote:
15 Aug 2017 20:54
I've been advised to steer away from shimano coz you can't maintain them? Was looking at mavics?
Really....?

Quite the opposite in my opinion, Shimano have loose ball bearing that you can grease and service plus spares are available near enough anywhere. You can also replace the cones if they get pitted, but highly unlikely in my experience.

Mavic on the other hand are sealed bearing, so its either replace them or nothing, and then try getting the bearing or even spokes for that matter :x

Give me a set of Shimano wheels over Mavic wheels anytime for winter riding, especially hand built wheels on Ultegra hubs.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 16 Aug 2017 14:51

Hels147 wrote:
15 Aug 2017 22:52
laurence_cooley wrote:
15 Aug 2017 21:32

I'm with Laurence here, I have had nothing but bother with entry level Mavic disc wheels, I would recommend them to nobody - I am now on the third set which I am treating as winter hacks when preserving my nice Hunt dynamo wheels.

If anybody discovers a reasonably priced set of disc wheels that can handle more than a couple of 1,000 miles before the hubs degrade, or the spokes seize and can't be tightened/loosened or even break, I'm all ears.
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 16 Aug 2017 14:52

In addition, what Al said...
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Aug 2017 16:41

As if by magic, Wiggle now have the new Mavic Tubeless wheel/tyre systems in stock.
Eat cake before you're hungry

caashford

Post by caashford » 16 Aug 2017 16:58

Not cycle to work, but I bought some of these for my Pinnacle winter bike. No issues with them so far:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... -23mm-7459

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 16 Aug 2017 19:58

caashford wrote:
16 Aug 2017 16:58
Not cycle to work, but I bought some of these for my Pinnacle winter bike. No issues with them so far:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... -23mm-7459
Ooooo - interesting, thanks. The wheels are for my pinnacle as well. 😊
Probably gonna go through Evans again for the C2W stuff though.