Replacement chamois

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Lapin

Replacement chamois

Post by Lapin » 10 Feb 2018 10:02

I recently got hold of a fantastic '93 Mercatone Uno Medeghini skinsuit for a song on Italian ebay. The thing is great - see-thu white material sections (!!!) and an original (though thankfully unused) chamois that is basically just a panel of flocked cotton - the 90's idea of comfort.

Now although I'd be happy to see how this rather spartan seat padding rides its unfortunately not in great condition on a close inspection. There's a weird coating under one of the layers of material that has turned into a kind of brown sand and this is seeping out of holes made by some degrading stitching around the pad. In short - it aint gonna last long.

So the question is - has anyone replaced a chamois on a pair of shorts? If so any tips / pointers to a good supplier or service? I've found some placed in Italy that will sew in a new (modern) one for around 24EUR but I have a friend who works a mean sewing machine so could do it ourselves I think.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Dave

George

Re: Replacement chamois

Post by George » 10 Feb 2018 14:03

I have, a long time ago. It's incredibly fiddly work, because everything that your are trying to stitch is curved and therefore trying to get away from you, usually in a different direction from the thing you are trying to stitch it to. A perfectionist approach to pinning before sewing is required, and the chances of ending up with a misshapen garment and/or creased insert are ever-present.

Out of interest, what do you envisage using this skinsuit for? You can use it in club TTs, but not in opens and not in most BC events. Might turn a few heads on a private training ride, though.

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 11 Feb 2018 17:07

Thanks for the tips - yeah I can imagine its dead fiddly. Maybe worth sending it off to professionals.

I'm just into 80s and 90s kit - i'd just be wearing it training or on hols up the cols

Shinyspoke

Post by Shinyspoke » 20 May 2018 12:43

Hello Dave.

I've got some eighties and nineties kit for sale if you're still interested.

Thanks Martin

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 23 May 2018 12:55

Pm'd you Martin!

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 23 May 2018 12:57

I Got the chamois replaced by a company called DrPad in the end:
http://drpad.it/en/home-2/

They were really communicative and helpful - they don't do many 1-offs but are happy to add a garment to their production que. Ended up being ~30EUR which is brilliant considering the quality of the pad and the stitching they've done. Given a very old skinsuit a new lease of life!