Garmin Edge 810 switches itself off mid-ride

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Andy Terry

Garmin Edge 810 switches itself off mid-ride

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Mar 2018 18:33

Is it just me? It's happened a few times.

AlanW

Re: Garmin Edge 810 switches itself off mid-ride

Post by AlanW » 23 Mar 2018 11:07

Same location or different locations Andy?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 23 Mar 2018 15:03

A couple of weeks ago, my previously flawless Garmin Touring (very similar to the 800, minus a few of the fancy features) simply froze mid-ride. Everything stopped: recording, time display, the works. And it didn't respond to pressing any normal function buttons: I had to do a complete reset, since which it has worked normally. It happened at a location I have passed countless times before without incident.

I've previously had occasional issues with a 500 freezing as well, which I thought might be linked to using it for both breadcrumb navigation and data recording, and toggling between screens. However, there was no very consistent pattern.

And, >5 years ago, I had an earlier model (can't remember the number... 250?... big clunking thing by modern standards), which did simply switch off as you describe, on one or two occasions. I vaguely recall posting a question about it on the MB, in response to which you offered to examine the file, and reported back that it looked as if I'd accidentally turned it off myself. I thought that that was a bit unlikely (I hadn't been holding the middle of the bars), but I couldn't be totally sure that that wasn't the explanation.

In short, I think that they simply have bugs. It's a bit of a pain, but I've resigned myself to the fact that they just let you down occasionally.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Mar 2018 20:00

Different locations, Alan. Never had any such problems with my trusty eTrex 30, so on some rides I take it as backup.
I'm resigned to fact there's a bug somewhere in the Edge.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 25 Mar 2018 18:59

It happened to me with my Edge 705 last year on Georges retro ride. It was near Inkberrow and happened to one other rider in the same place

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club