STI conversion.

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Kali-Ann

STI conversion.

Post by Kali-Ann » 08 Aug 2021 21:11

Good evening everyone,

I wonder if someone could assist me with the following question.
I have just joined the forum and plan joining Beacon RCC in the next few weeks.
Anyway I have been looking for a new bike and earlier this evening I was offered a Barracuda Azurri 6000 at a ridiculously cheap price by one of my neighbours. It has an aluminum frame.
The only issue is that the gear shifters are on the downtube.
My question is would it be at all possible to convert to STI shifters? Ask far as I can see the bike is equipped with a Sunrace gear set up.
I doubt very much that Shimano STI's would be compatible.
The bike is immaculate.

Any advice would be welcome.

Ride safe

Kind and warm regards

Kali-Ann

laurence_cooley

Re: STI conversion.

Post by laurence_cooley » 08 Aug 2021 21:31

I think you can buy cable stops that convert frames designed for downtube shifters to allow them to be fitted with STI groupsets, but once the cost of the conversion is factored in, it might work out better value to just buy a second-hand bike with STI shifters to begin with (especially because Barracuda don't have a great reputation - they're the sort of brand that supermarkets sell rather than bike shops and I think the way they keep the price low is to use cheap components, hence the downtube shifters even though it's probably not all that old a bike).

There are quite a lot of bargain older bikes that nonetheless have STI gears available on eBay (when I joined the Beacon about 10 years ago, I started out on an early 90s Shogun that I found on there for about £200), or it might be worth a visit to the Bike Foundry in Stirchley (https://birminghambikefoundry.org/) to see if they've got anything suitable.

Kali-Ann

Post by Kali-Ann » 09 Aug 2021 14:56

Hi Laurence,
Thank you for your help. Yes I did have a look at reviews for the Barracuda and as you say they are less than glowing.
I have politely decline the offer and have continued looking, so I have located a Cube Peloton 2016 model for £200, it has been regularly serviced, just needs a good clean. It has a Shimano 105 chainset, 11-32 cassette and from what the seller said the original Mavik wheels. With a weight of 8.9 kilos I feel I should find it more than adequate.

I will more than likely sign up for the ride that you mentioned.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Kind and warm regards

Kali-Ann

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 09 Aug 2021 18:03

That sounds like a good deal and having the 32t option will see you up any hill you're likely to encounter on a Beacon club run. Have fun!