Seat Post Seizure and Removal

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Si_Walker

Seat Post Seizure and Removal

Post by Si_Walker » 09 Aug 2021 19:10

I’ve had a bike with a seized seat post, which would not budge at all despite dripping oil in around the seat post and light tapping to try to get it out. Rather than having a hack at it, I sourced a chap that removes these on a regular basis ‘The Seat Post Man’ based on Chorley, Lancs. I took the bike up to him (by appointment) and he he removed it from the stem (took 2 hours) leaving it all neat, clean and tidy with no damage at all to the frame.
I’d definitely recommend anyone to use this chap as he clearly has the knowledge to do an excellent job. He has a web site and a Facebook page (The Seatpost Man) with photos of the types of jobs he has done, all very interesting.

However prevention is better than a cure, so if you haven’t had your seat post out of the frame recently I suggest that you do so, particularly if you keep the bike in damp conditions such as a shed or garage. He recommended removing it 3 times a year, cleaning and lightly greasing the stem (if metal) before slotting it back in. Don’t use oil though on a carbon stem as it will swell and seize up! use the proper carbon post compound.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club