Club Runs - 24th March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 24th March

Post by WorcsPhil » 18 Mar 2019 15:09

I don't know...the ruses that people will pull to earn a club run point. Neil Orchard is claiming leaders points for leading for just over a mile on Sunday :) but Chris Ashford takes the biscuit...he sent his mum to the café to pretend to be him whilst he's off skiing somewhere. We saw through that! ...and that shows just how tight and hard fought the club run competition is...it takes toil, dedication and honesty to be considered a worthy winner.

...but thanks to Nick, Si and Dave for leading this week and earning the fanfare from your underlings. Over 30 people out on Sunday, which is great to see. I'm hearing the odd comment from people over the last few weeks on various club runs about standards, so time for one of my regular reminders: On a club run...
- Don't ride off the front, ride at the leader's pace. If you want a faster ride, then volunteer to lead one and state what pace you will ride if above the guidelines
- keep together, if there are people off the back then slow down and wait for them
- Call out if 'car up', 'car down' or 'hole' to inform others of dangers and potholes...Matt Regan is a joy to follow in this regard!
- Let's not be a rabble of people all over the road, try to ride together.

...and so to this week...a longer A-ride is on offer, but again, please post here if you can lead this week:

A: 200kms ride - Chris Ashford (Meet at 08:00 for 08:15 start)
B: Leamington Spa - Nick Shenton
C: Volunteer required
Women's ride on Saturday at 08:15 - Helen Jamieson leading

AlanW

Re: Club Runs - 24th March

Post by AlanW » 19 Mar 2019 11:09

Do I get a club run point for leading a group around the velodrome on Saturday.... ;;-)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

neilo

Post by neilo » 19 Mar 2019 11:50

Did you have to point out holes and signal left Al?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Mar 2019 12:04

neilo wrote:
19 Mar 2019 11:50
Did you have to point out holes and signal left Al?
:oops:
Last edited by AlanW on 23 Mar 2019 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 20 Mar 2019 22:26

I’ll take a sedate B Run out this Sunday avoiding the hoarding MMH masses.

Destination tbc but will be approx 100k.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 21 Mar 2019 14:03

The B Run this Sunday will be to Alfonso's in Leamington Spa

57 Miles BH to BH - Nice & steady pace on the Summer Bikes.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 21 Mar 2019 21:43

I’m leading the women’s ride on Saturday. It’ll be the normal route and the normal 8 for 8:15am start, as I refuse to get out of bed any earlier on a weekend! :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Kamran

Post by Kamran » 21 Mar 2019 22:25

I'm a newbie who's back in the UK (having been in Germany for the last few years, where I picked up the cycling bug) and was wondering whether I can join the ride out on Sunday? Or do I have to wait until the first Sunday of April for an intro ride.

George

Post by George » 22 Mar 2019 10:26

Kamran wrote:
21 Mar 2019 22:25
I'm a newbie who's back in the UK (having been in Germany for the last few years, where I picked up the cycling bug) and was wondering whether I can join the ride out on Sunday? Or do I have to wait until the first Sunday of April for an intro ride.
Welcome (back), Kamran. Whether you do an intro ride before graduating to a weekly club run is entirely up to you. If you are relatively new to cycling, particularly group cycling, doing an intro ride first is a good idea. The threshold is low and it gives you an idea of what's involved in the weekly rides. However, if you're already a strong rider, you'll find an intro ride very tame, and you're better off going straight for one of the main rides.

Take a look at the guideline speeds and distances on the website and decide whether you feel ready for one of the main rides. No group will ever just blow you away and desert you in the middle of nowhere. However, there's a general expectation that people should ride with a group of an appropriate level.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 23 Mar 2019 14:29

Saturday beaconette’s ride

Helen jamieson (lead)
Sandy Henshaw
Katie Chesworth

There were only three of us this morning, so we decided to join up with the Northfield cycle shop ride to be sociable and also for a change in route. We headed out to tardebrig, then left them as they were going to a cafe and we wanted to get back. Also, rider discapline wasn’t very good and there were a few hairy moments with riders slowing/stopping unannounced... think we’ll stick to our own rides for the moment. :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Kamran

Post by Kamran » 23 Mar 2019 15:06

George wrote:
22 Mar 2019 10:26
Kamran wrote:
21 Mar 2019 22:25
Welcome (back), Kamran. Whether you do an intro ride before graduating to a weekly club run is entirely up to you. If you are relatively new to cycling, particularly group cycling, doing an intro ride first is a good idea. The threshold is low and it gives you an idea of what's involved in the weekly rides. However, if you're already a strong rider, you'll find an intro ride very tame, and you're better off going straight for one of the main rides.

Take a look at the guideline speeds and distances on the website and decide whether you feel ready for one of the main rides. No group will ever just blow you away and desert you in the middle of nowhere. However, there's a general expectation that people should ride with a group of an appropriate level.
Thanks for the details George. Generally ridden in smaller groups of 3-4's. I'll come by on Sunday morning and see what speed the B are planning at and will make an appropriate call.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 24 Mar 2019 14:32

The C ride went to Worcester Country park on a lovely sunny spring day. Sitting outside in the sunshine for coffee was very pleasant. It was a steady pace of approx 13.5 mph over a distance of about 50 miles.

Joanne Congerton
Claire Fudge
Wayne Gibbs
Cedric Gioan
Colin Hall
Gareth Lawerence (1st ride with the Beacon)
Dave Little
Adrian Low
Adrian McHugh
Si Walker (Leading)

Welcome to Gareth who joined us for his first ride, and many more to come I hope.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Mar 2019 17:47

A beauatiful spring day saw the B Run head to Simons Cafe in Leamington Spa.

The pace was at the top end of the club run guidelines but everyone seemed to cope ok. We did unfortunately loose Noel on the way out of Leamington and despite 2 other club members going back as far as the cafe we couldn’t locate him, so apologies to Noel and we hope you found your way back ok?

Nick Shenton (Leading)
James Tate
Neil Orchard
Jamie Brooke’s
Alistair Hey
Phil Gameson
Matt Hale
Toby Hale
Finbarr Costigan
Noel O’dwyer
Alex Roybinski
Ben Crone

Paul Johnson turned off a few miles before the cafe
Last edited by Nicks_77 on 25 Mar 2019 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

BenC

Post by BenC » 24 Mar 2019 18:35

Just because I was wearing a Halesowen jacket doesn't mean I don't qualify for club run points! I'm a paid up Beaconite, don't you know!

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 24 Mar 2019 20:02

The B ride had quite a few riders today and I had been staying towards the back to try and keep an eye on anyone in
difficulty. Not quite sure how Noel went unnoticed, but unfortunately if anyone at the back misses ever a single turning (and there were lots in Leamington) we may never see them again that day. I suppose the only way to be certain that this does not happen is for someone to stay at the very back all the time, but then they can be too far back to get word to the front that there is a problem.
Phil Gameson

caashford

Post by caashford » 24 Mar 2019 22:00

Well, it was always likely to be a hard sell for a 200k ride so early in the season, and the participants turned out to be thin on the ground. Probably a bit too long route for a 08:15 start, but still a good run that would work well with an earlier start and greater numbers!

Riders were:
Chris Ashford (Leading)
Chris Ashford (In the Bunch)
Chris Ashford (Off the Back)
Chris Ashford (Getting Lost)
Chris Ashford (Bonking at 140k)

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Mar 2019 17:32

BenC wrote:
24 Mar 2019 18:35
Just because I was wearing a Halesowen jacket doesn't mean I don't qualify for club run points! I'm a paid up Beaconite, don't you know!
Oh bugger! Sorry Ben & I had your name on my phone aswell :oops: